• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black Cockatoo, Frogmouth, Kingfisher and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I've got some more photos from the wildlife sanctuary and hospital. :)

Once again I have to apologise for the quality of these photos. They were taken with my phone. :rolleyes:

Red-tailed Black Cockatoo

This is Baby. She lives in a very large free flight aviary with her mate. She is a bit of a ham and loves to wait on the boardwalk handrail for visitors to come and have a chat with her.

She :heart: mealworms and corn.

She also loves destroying the boardwalk handrail.

Which just goes to show that you can provide a Cockatoo with a whole aviary full of trees to chew... and they will still destroy things they shouldn't. :rolleyes:

Tawny Frogmouth

He is waiting for me to feed him. Just look at that wide beak! He is currently recovering in the hospital but is doing very well so far. He is eating his mice without a problem.

Masked Lapwing Chick

This baby was brought in by a Spotter Catcher. These are people who go around and collect as many native wildlife from a place before machines come in to develope the area. This little guy has a fractured leg.

Here he is being prepped for an X-ray.

Lace Monitor

This big guy and his mate are in a temporary enclosure while their normal enclosure is being refurbished. He is very curious to see what we get up to!

Get in my belly!!!

Magpie Chick

Whoops! This Magpie chick was found on the ground and a well-meaning member of the public brought him in. We get lots of fledglings brought to us in Spring because many people don't realise that they are just learning how to fly and will inevitably land on the ground. Mum and dad are almost always close by to keep an eye on them.

So this baby was returned to where he was found and was reunited with his parents!

Osprey

*Sigh* Fishing line... the constant bane of a wildlife vet's existence.

This Osprey had a large clump of fishing line tangled in her foot. It was embedded deeply into her toes. On closer inspection we found out that the line had cut through all the way to the bone.

The line was removed and she in on antibiotics now. Only time will tell if that is enough to save her foot and therefore her life.

Forest Kingfisher

Today I got the oppertunity to release a Forest Kingfisher back into the wild! He was very well behaved and even posed for a few seconds on James' hand before taking off.

Mealworms

It is like getting a gross hand massage! :D

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow fantastic pcs especially that too WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks! :)

It's very special getting to work with them!

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Great pics, Kelsey! Thank you for sharing them!

I hope the Osprey's foot will recover! So sad to see human thoughtlessness causing so much pain and suffering!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What an amazing place!

Matt

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
:omg: beautiful pictures, thank you:hug8::hug8:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Loved the 'too what a cutie.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Great pics, Kelsey! Thank you for sharing them!

I hope the Osprey's foot will recover! So sad to see human thoughtlessness causing so much pain and suffering!
Thank you! :)

We're all really hoping that her foot recovers too! If she loses the back toe then she won't be able to hunt any more. :( So she would not be able to be released.

Unfortunately we get so many animals in that have been injured or killed by fishing lines and hooks. Luckily this Osprey's X-ray didn't show any hooks in her system, so it is just her foot we have to worry about.

the kingfisher is sooo cute!!! all of them are just gorgeous!
let us know what happens to the Osprey, I pray her foot heels :(
I love the colours on the Kingfisher! He looks like a Pokemon! :p

I'll only be able to find out next week what has happened to the Osprey. They put her in an aviary, so the vets must feel confortable that she is able to perch well.

What an amazing place!

Matt
It sure is! One of the busiest wildlife hospitals in Australia! :D

:omg: beautiful pictures, thank you:hug8::hug8:
Thanks! :D

Loved the 'too what a cutie.
She really is! :) She loves it when we are hosing the avairy. She will always come over to have a shower.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Awesome photos! I hope the Lapwing Chick will be okay & the Osprey.

ETA: I have to say that the Lace Monitor is so cute, too!

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Awesome pictures, thanks !

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Loved all the pics! Thanks so much for sharing. I hope the Osprey is able to be released one day.

MollyMouse

That Kingfisher is stunning. Thanks for sharing these great pics Kelsey :highfive:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Awesome photos! I hope the Lapwing Chick will be okay & the Osprey.

ETA: I have to say that the Lace Monitor is so cute, too!
That Monitor sure has a lot of personality! I never realised how curious and playful reptiles can be until I met him. :D

Awesome pictures, thanks !
Thanks! :)

Beautiful pics!!!
Thank you! :)

Loved all the pics! Thanks so much for sharing. I hope the Osprey is able to be released one day.
Thanks! :D I hope so too. She is absolutely gorgeous.

That Kingfisher is stunning. Thanks for sharing these great pics Kelsey :highfive:
Thanks! :) Aren't those colours on the Kingfisher absolutely amazing?! :heart: I can't believe a bright bird like that can camouflage itself so well in the wild.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I have a small update on the Osprey. :)

She is still with us!

The vets are still unsure whether or not she will lose her back toe. There is a chance that she will keep it and that is why they want to keep her at the hospital for a while longer to see if the body will naturally reject the toe. So far the toe has not turned black! :)

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
The Osprey was euthanised. :(

Despite starting antibiotics as soon as she came into care, the bone became infected and the whole foot became inflamed and sore. The Osprey could not be saved without having her foot amputated and she could not be released back into the wild with only one foot. Ospreys need both their feet and all their talons in working order so that they can hunt for and catch fish. The decision was made that it would be kinder to euthanise her instead of keeping her in captivity for the rest of her life (she did not take well to being in a captive environment).

She leaves behind a mate who she has religiously been nesting with for at least the last 25 years. :(

She and her mate had two chicks in the nest when she was brought in to the hospital after being found on the ground. The male has continued to raise the young by himself. He is doing a good job and the young fledged this week.

I really, really hate fishing line.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry about the osprey.

Matt

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
omg 25 years?!! would it not have been better to give her a chance to come to get used to a captive environment?

what will the male do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.