• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black capped conure eggs

BumblePea

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone :)

I've got two rescue conures that I've rehabilitated over the past 1.5 years. They're former breeders that never actually bred. I suspect that's why they were surrendered to the rescue. They laid eggs and with the vet's advice, I've allowed her to sit on them since she had already laid 8 back to back. This was to not encourage her to lay more to replace any eggs taken out.

Well, I've now got 3 fertile eggs. I've cared for babies, but I'm still rather inexperienced as I'm not a breeder.

Upon candling the eggs, I noticed that two are developing quite normally but one looks off. I don't want to leave it in there if it can hurt the mama or her other eggs. Can you take a look at it and let me know what you think?

I don't see veins anymore and the color is less red and more desaturated.

Attachments

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm more experienced with chicken eggs, but that looks like a quitter to me. Definitely wait for some more people to chime in though, before you discard it.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
It looks to me tat that pic may yet turn out fertile. Egg candling is not an exact science, but

an infertile egg usually has the "ring of death". A narrow red ring round the inside of the shell, the rest being clear, or almost clear

That solid mass, and the air pocked developing above, suggests it may yet turn out fertile

....But what do I know. One of Diva's eggs went almost completely black and I wrote it off , but it hatched 3 days later, and is wriggling round peeping as I write

BumblePea

Meeting neighbors
It looks to me tat that pic may yet turn out fertile. Egg candling is not an exact science, but

an infertile egg usually has the "ring of death". A narrow red ring round the inside of the shell, the rest being clear, or almost clear

That solid mass, and the air pocked developing above, suggests it may yet turn out fertile

....But what do I know. One of Diva's eggs went almost completely black and I wrote it off , but it hatched 3 days later, and is wriggling round peeping as I write
Thank you! Yeah, the lack of veins, no movement and pale color is off to me, but I don't see any blood at all. It was super healthy looking just a couple of days ago.

I'll give it some more time and see how it looks!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That doesn’t look viable to me. it looks like an egg that started to develop and then stopped.

BumblePea

Meeting neighbors
Thank you, guys. I looked at it this morning and I swear for a moment it looked bigger. But now I'm comparing them and I think I'm just wishful thinking.

Attachments