• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black cap lory with other birds

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
So I've been offered a 2-3 year old black cap lory, his previous owners surrendered him as he was attacking the entire household. He very much dislikes women and I've seen him jump down and go out of his way to chase attractive women . So far, i have been the only person to successfully handle him for more than 5 mins without him attacking. I played for a good hour with him. My main concern that i know lories can be bird aggressive towards other bird species, I have a lovebird and 2 sun conures. So i am worried about that interaction. My other concern is him chasing people, it is something I would not want to tolerate as my current 3 birds are well behaved. Do you think its too late to retrain him? Any input would be appreciated. Here are some videos for your time.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oo wow! No advice here but he is gorgeous! Is there any chance of fostering before officially taking him in so you can see what he does?
@WallyLoopey has lorikeets woth other birds:)

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Oo wow! No advice here but he is gorgeous! Is there any chance of fostering before officially taking him in so you can see what he does?
@WallyLoopey has lorikeets woth other birds:)
Note sure about fostering but it may be an option as none of the employees will take him out since he lunges at them. Literally everyone is telling me I should take him home, including the operations manager.:cautious: I did take my lovebird to the store last week and held the lory next to her carrier and he did not seem aggressive but different, not sure how it would be at home. For now I am just continuing to work with him at the store, show casing him to customers with his goofy antics and trying maybe find a home for him if it doesnt work out for me.

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Note sure about fostering but it may be an option as none of the employees will take him out since he lunges at them. Literally everyone is telling me I should take him home, including the operations manager.:cautious:
They want rid of him I think lol! But it DOES sound as is he had chosen you!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
They want rid of him I think lol! But it DOES sound as is he had chosen you!
Probably lol, he does have displaced aggression where he will nip at me if a woman comes close but not hard enough to break skin. Sigh not sure what to do but to just keep working with him at the store.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Mine are lorikeets, so they’re smaller, but they will go out of their way to attack other birds. My macaw is kept in another room and they won’t hesitate to go to his room and attack him.

Since it’s summer they all spend a lot of time in the outdoor aviaries, but in the winter I’m going to have to keep doors closed to keep them all seperated. Mine all live cage free when indoors so it’s harder to manage.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
The black capped lory I foster at the moment does not show any aggression towards my other birds but shows extreme hormonal behavior. That was the reason he was given up, he attacked his owner. So far he has not bitten us and we all handle him in the family. Could be a honeymoon period, we will see. I put him back as soon as he starts masturbating on me, it seems he got that.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
He hasn't masturbated on me but has attacked every woman instantly and every guy after 5 mins so far :(

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Doesn't sound promising but could change in a different environment. I will meet with a bird trainer on the weekend and an avian vet to see if we can improve the hormonal behavior, he plucks his feathers :(

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How old is the Lory