• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bitten toe and bleeding

Harlehd

Meeting neighbors
Hi
Well, my Indian ring neck parrot attacked my lovebird today and bitten his leg near his toenail. The injury looked severe, with slow bleeding, and the tip of the toe looked deviated and swollen.
I rinse it immediately and applied Povidone and took him to the vet. He splinted it with blaster but once we got back home my bird removed it, so I tried to re-applie it but it doesn't seem to stick as the bleeding is still ongoing.

I'm scared now, I don't seem to find away to stop the bleeding although it is mild. And I'm afraid that her will lose his toe.
The vet told me even if you don't splint it, it will heal.

Anyone experienced such an incident? And has the injury healed well?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you use any cornstarch or flour? I've put it in a bowl and set the bird into it and held them there until it stopped. Your vet may be able to give you advice over the phone also.

Harlehd

Meeting neighbors
Can you use any cornstarch or flour? I've put it in a bowl and set the bird into it and held them there until it stopped. Your vet may be able to give you advice over the phone also.
Wouldn't that contaminate the wound?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wouldn't that contaminate the wound?
Like I said your vet may have different instructions. That's the one from my vet. Stop the bleeding is the first step regardless. Cleaning happens after.

Harlehd

Meeting neighbors
Like I said your vet may have different instructions. That's the one from my vet. Stop the bleeding is the first step regardless. Cleaning happens after.
I put pressure over it, however, the bandage and the splint couldn't be held properly around his toes

I will try the flour, hopefully it would work

Thank you

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Flour worked for Nerd Bird when I cut a toe nail too short and didn't cause any issues later.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I hope this help! It is from a legit vet.
Can I ask if that was an online vet? Or an actual in clinic vet?

Hydrogen peroxide is wonderful for many things, however, I would not ever choose to use it on my bird.
From what I understand it can be a skin irritant and also cause problems with wound healing.
I used to use it for so many things till I found out there are much safer ways to do things like wound cleaning- I was expressly told to not use it for wound care when there are better safer options available, now if I was told this for human care then I would expect it to be even more important to keep it away from my bird as they are much more sensitive to things than humans.

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
Yes, it was from an online vet. She also have her own pratice in the states. I also consulted with an avian vet which i went in person and he said what she told me was right.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Iv'e heard that hydrogen peroxide is bad for all wounds. Apparently the bubbling actually is the peroxide eating the flesh, not killing bacteria.

Unfortunately, hydrogen peroxide's oxidation also destroys healthy skin cells. This is why many physicians and dermatologists currently advise against using hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds , as it has been found to slow the healing process and possibly worsen scarring by killing the healthy cells surrounding a cut.

Source

Harlehd

Meeting neighbors
Yes, it was from an online vet. She also have her own pratice in the states. I also consulted with an avian vet which i went in person and he said what she told me was right.
Thank you so much
Lucky I managed to control the bleeding that day and his toe got better now

I'm really struggling when it comes to my birds being sick or injured as we don't have an avian vet where I live, the general vets I visited in the past for various issues knew their limitations when it comes to birds. But I'm trying my best to collect all information from online sources and others' expirences.

Thank you so much again

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
In the future, rinse with cool clean water, then grab some paper towels and get them wet with cold water and squeeze out excess water. Pinch the toe lightly with pressure in between the damp towels and keep doing it til the bleeding stops. Switch out towels frequently to keep them clean.
Then lightly pat toe with dry paper towel. It could take a bit of time for the bleeding to stop, just as it would with a human.
Never put Hydrogen Peroxide on an open wound.