• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bitten on the eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

TammyLynn

Strolling the yard
Ok, a question for the oral medication pros:

I'm putting the dropper to the side of his beak, he opens it but just fakes me out that there may be room in there for the Clavamox. His tongue fills his entire mouth, lol.

He seems to spit a little back at me, and holds some more in his beak until I let him out of the towel and shakes some out. Today I held him in the towel for longer to make him swallow but apparently he out-waited me.
He's only getting .2 ml. Should I be concerned that not all of it is getting in?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I always give the meds in a little bit of handfeeding formula or light soy milk. I mix it about 50/50. Both of them will drink it right out of the spoon.

Ginger

TammyLynn

Strolling the yard
Maybe tonight I'll try it in some oatmeal, since he would probably eat all of that.

Thanks for the idea. I'm leaving town for 2 days tomorrow and I need to find the most efficient way of getting the medicine into Tater :) Tater and the hubby have a love/stinker relationship much of the time.

So I probably shouldn't count on him getting a lot of that into his tummy? I have no idea how much he actually swallowed.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
You might want to check and see if you can find this type of syringe to give the meds with...I think Petco and such have them for feeding formulas....
It's the 4th one from the left...see the long small tip, you can get that back behind the tongue to give the meds...:hug8:

Attachments

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
The vet didnt give you a syringe? I am using the small one like BF is showing to give Tequila meds and it works great from the side of his beak. Do you have to towel him? Can you hold him steady with your index finger and thumb on each side of his head to keep him from moving instead of toweling him?

TammyLynn

Strolling the yard
My syringe is the third from the left. It gives a lot at one time, I guess. When I'm out today I'll look for the longer one. I can see how that may be easier.

I could probably do it without toweling him but I doubt Lance could. What would be the benefit of not using the towel? To stop him from panicking? Tater's ok with the towel. He munches on it while he waits for me to do what I need to do. We cuddle in towels all the time so he doesn't freak out like Charlie does.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yes to not stress him if toweling is stressful to him. If he is ok with it, that is great.

TammyLynn

Strolling the yard
Yes to not stress him if toweling is stressful to him. If he is ok with it, that is great.
Since I'm heading out of town, I had Lance try it without the towel tonight. He was SO good. (they both were!)

The eye is still puffy, and it seems a little pinker than it was yesterday. He's still in good spirits though. He's LOVING the extra attention.

Charlie's going a little crazy because we haven't let them play together since the incident. When it's his time to be out, he spends his entire play time trying to get into Tater's cage. Once Tater's healed I'll have to decide how comfortable I am letting them play together.

TammyLynn

Strolling the yard
I'm back from my work trip. He's been taking his medicine like a pro. No problems with Lance giving him the medicine.

He hasn't, however, been so nice for me. Since I've been back he has bitten me every time I give him the medicine and nearly every time I pick him up.
I guess a little grouchiness is to be expected. His eye is MUCH less puffy but still has the scab from the eyelash wound. Hopefully he'll be back to normal once he's mended.

Vet gave him 10 days of Clavamox and a week of the ointment. Still 4 days to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.