• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Been having my linnie for a few weeks now. He was sweet in the beginning but the more time is passing on he starts to bite more and more. Today he even drew blood.

His cage is set a little high. Been taking him out 2/3 times a day. Every time he does well like step up on my finger or gives kisses i give him a small bite of a papaya treat.

Anybody has tips for me?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Kira. Gigi was a hand fed baby that I brought home at 6 weeks. She turned 1 on 2/1/19. She had a step up from her cage for only a short time. Then a few times I had to chase her around the cage, so I decided that she could come out when she was ready. I open the door and she comes out. In time I also had trouble touching anything in her cage when she was in it. If I needed to clean poop off a perch she would lunge and try to bite. She was calm when I put her food into her cage. At 6 months I got her a new cage that I put food into from the outside and I think it was just in time. She is really cage aggressive. So, is he biting you when you are touching him in the cage or the stuff in his cage? Another typical thing is Linnies can be hand shy. Gigi is, she would rather I not touch her. Linnies love their people but not their hands. As far as the cage being high, I don't think that leads to aggression but I like birds at eye level so they can be part of the action. Gigi is really excited when my young grandchildren visit. She spends lots of time on the floor of the cage, getting on their level. I think it's great that you are taking him out often and rewarding him for behavior you like. Interestingly Gigi is not very food motivated and has never taken anything out of my hand.

All that said, Gigi is incredibly friendly. She is fully flighted and flies to me often, hanging out on my shoulder and lap. I can touch her with my face and sometimes my hands. But she doesn't bite often, she mostly just flies away if I'm getting too handsy. When I come to her cage when she's in it, she quickly comes to the edge to visit. So it's been interesting to figure out Linnies, she is very different than birds I've had in the past.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
He just bites me when i touch him out of the the cage. If i try to get him out the cage he just runs.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll also add that I took her to the vet on Friday and she was perfectly well behaved, stepping up for me and the vet because she knew she had to. But if I don't have to, I tend to not force my will on her at all. She does what she wants.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He just bites me when i touch him out of the the cage. If i try to get him out the cage he just runs.
OK, so if he is out, like on a play gym, in front of you, will he come to you eventually? Is he flighted?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is he?

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
He is 4/5 months old. He doesn't have a play gym. If he walks on the floor and i say step up he will.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is 4/5 months old. He doesn't have a play gym. If he walks on the floor and i say step up he will.
OK that's the age when Gigi started to become a lot more opinionated. :) So it doesn't surprise me. What else does he do when he's out? Does he have any activities, places he goes? Gigi really likes her play gym. It's from @Matto. It's good to encourage parallel play. I read or watch TV next to Gigi on the play gym.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
He likes to sit on my keyboard :) and watch me do my stuff

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi likes to watch me text on my phone. She loves when I bring up her pix. :)

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
@Dona where did you get Gigi? I'm looking for linnie breeders

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have two male linnies who turned 1 early March. At about 10 months Caspar became a jerk. He's better now but being that he's in a bonded pair with the other linnie, he's kind of the guardian of their cage and of Emrys. He mainly gets angry when I'm trying to interact with Emrys and Emrys is very shy. He fans his tail even! He (Caspar) would scream at me and charge me. The scream is really shocking since they're such quiet birds! The worst bite I've had has been from Emrys! So all that said and two things: linnies are notoriously hand shy, and they also are well known for having a rough adolescence. Do you do any training with him? Target training is a great way to work with them and reinforce good behaviors while also being great for occupying their minds. And increases bonding!

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
OK that's the age when Gigi started to become a lot more opinionated. :) So it doesn't surprise me. What else does he do when he's out? Does he have any activities, places he goes? Gigi really likes her play gym. It's from @Matto. It's good to encourage parallel play. I read or watch TV next to Gigi on the play gym.
Got a play area today :3
20190505_181741.jpg