• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting while training?

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
The bites are kinda getting worse and mostly happen when I clicker train Momo. Specifically, when I ask her to step up, there’s no problem when I do recall training. Maybe she somehow had a trauma in the past with stepping up? She does it perfectly fine sometimes and sometimes just bites out of nowhere. Although every time I go from under to avoid triggering, she just goes for it :shrug2:

So my main question is, should I stop the training session if she bites (even though she’s still willing to continue and asking for more treats) or should I continue and just ignore the bite (and ofc not reward it)?
10533977-3C22-4B1C-BE9B-99D433EE19E2.jpeg

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Might be she has trauma from before, Momo may percieve the hand as an act of agression.

When Loki bites he gets completely ignored for about 30s to a minute. (Even during a training a session).. But then I continue and he getsa lot of praise for the next desired thing he does.

I'd do it differently.. You said there's no problem with a recall.
Merge the two.
I'd first literally ask "Wanna step up", then offer the hand in a manner that she has to make a step or two, or even further away.
Slowly, gradually (over a course of weeks, months, years even?) I'd inch the hand in closer.
I'd always ask first, then offer the hand.
Edit: With time and enough repetitions she'll learn stepping up is a good thing and that biting doesn't earn treats.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Question. If you ask her to step onto a perch, does she also bite the perch?

If so, AND if she's otherwise engaged and having fun during training, you can use that to your advantage. (I had a similar issue with my quaker, who began biting when stepping up from a couple specific locations - sometimes chomping AFTER he was already stepped up).

What worked for me was using a perch and training "be nice," as a command. I'd ask him to step onto the perch. If he stepped up, great! Click and treat.

When he bit, I'd remove the perch/set him back down without clicking, give him a minute to relax and try again, adding "Be Nice." He eventually worked out that biting = no treat and "be nice" means to step up without biting. Once he mastered the command with the perch, I was able to use the new command to transition back to stepping on my hand.

(Note, this only works if 1) the bird is engage and wants the treats and 2) the bird isn't afraid of the perch and will already step up onto it. If the bird is afraid of the perch, removing it like that is a reward in itself and can make the biting worse instead of better).

As a bonus, I've been able to use "be nice" to get him to be gentler on himself as well. When he gets riled up and is clearly trying not to bite me, he'll often redirect that aggression and chomp on his own feet and toes. "Be nice," combined with gently stroking (preening) the attacked tootsies seems to sooth him and the foot biting behavior is starting to reduce.

Last edited:

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Might be she has trauma from before, Momo may percieve the hand as an act of agression.

When Loki bites he gets completely ignored for about 30s to a minute. (Even during a training a session).. But then I continue and he getsa lot of praise for the next desired thing he does.

I'd do it differently.. You said there's no problem with a recall.
Merge the two.
I'd first literally ask "Wanna step up", then offer the hand in a manner that she has to make a step or two, or even further away.
Slowly, gradually (over a course of weeks, months, years even?) I'd inch the hand in closer.
I'd always ask first, then offer the hand.
Edit: With time and enough repetitions she'll learn stepping up is a good thing and that biting doesn't earn treats.
Thanks for the advice! i’ll definitely try this method :)

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Question. If you ask her to step onto a perch, does she also bite the perch?

If so, AND if she's otherwise engaged and having fun during training, you can use that to your advantage. (I had a similar issue with my quaker, who began biting when stepping up from a couple specific locations - sometimes chomping AFTER he was already stepped up).

What worked for me was using a perch and training "be nice," as a command. I'd ask him to step onto the perch. If he stepped up, great! Click and treat.

When he bit, I'd remove the perch/set him back down without clicking, give him a minute to relax and try again, adding "Be Nice." He eventually worked out that biting = no treat and "be nice" means to step up without biting. Once he mastered the command with the perch, I was able to use the new command to transition back to stepping on my hand.

(Note, this only works if 1) the bird is engage and wants the treats and 2) the bird isn't afraid of the perch and will already step up onto it. If the bird is afraid of the perch, removing it like that is a reward in itself and can make the biting worse instead of better).

As a bonus, I've been able to use "be nice" to get him to be gentler on himself as well. When he gets riled up and is clearly trying not to bite me, he'll often redirect that aggression and chomp on his own feet and toes. "Be nice," combined with gently stroking (preening) the attacked tootsies seems to sooth him and the foot biting behavior is starting to reduce.
Thanks!
I haven’t tried asking her to step up on a perch yet. My ringneck was not fond of this method so I had to use my hands straight away. But the difference in them is that I hand fed my ringneck, so he never actually bit me hard :D
I’ll try both methods that you and @Ulis_Beast mentioned today and see how it goes from there. Hopefully one of the methods will work

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Dont know much on the training but can I say that your baby is beautiful it's my dream bird. So lovely also after you owned momo for about a month do you mind if I ask how bad the dust is.
Thanks! :D
Sure, ask anything. So far it hasn’t been a problem for me although I have sensitive lungs, but I’m not asthmatic or allergic to dust. I’m allergic to other things.
and as of now she’s in my bedroom where Dyson runs 24/7. I also try to mist her lightly with water every day