• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting tail feathers

Kirby2009

Meeting neighbors
Hello!

My budgie is constantly biting my other budgies tail feathers! He’s very persistent. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How big is the cage they are in? Can you give more details like ages and sex and what is happening when this seems to happen? I know one of my guys used to do this to the other one but only sometimes if the opportunity was there for a few seconds. It was almost like an annoyed "and this is what you get for shoving your tail in my nose" type of thing.

@Ripshod @Lady Jane

Kirby2009

Meeting neighbors
How big is the cage they are in? Can you give more details like ages and sex and what is happening when this seems to happen? I know one of my guys used to do this to the other one but only sometimes if the opportunity was there for a few seconds. It was almost like an annoyed "and this is what you get for shoving your tail in my nose" type of thing.

@Ripshod @Lady Jane

They usually do it when out of the cage! They also have their own cages. They are both under 6 months. The younger one usually grabs the older ones tail! I just through it was so strange and there was nothing on google about. Didn’t know if I was the only one that have witnessed it. I know biting feet is aggressive etc.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If there's no damage to the feather then it's not a real bite. Mine do it all the time. It's like when they moult a feather when preening they'll often sit and roll it in their beak for a while like a child 'investigating' something new. Of course the owner of the feathers will object to it, but it seems to be just play (like children play tag) - unless the feather is damaged or pulled. Don't worry about it, a budgie will eject feathers to escape an attack.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol, sometimes when mine used to do it there would be one budgie hanging completely free of perch or bar support from the other budgies tail like it was a swing and the hanging bird would look like it was trying to ride a bike with them teeny budgie legs and toes going crazy :lol: It honestly was one of the funniest things I have seen budgies do!

Kirby2009

Meeting neighbors
Lol, sometimes when mine used to do it there would be one budgie hanging completely free of perch or bar support from the other budgies tail like it was a swing and the hanging bird would look like it was trying to ride a bike with them teeny budgie legs and toes going crazy :lol: It honestly was one of the funniest things I have seen budgies do!
I see that you’re from Australia?! That’s awesome. Do you see wild budgies ever