• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting strangers on my shoulder

HibiscusConure

Checking out the neighborhood
My sun conure is somewhat new to the family and his past life is a mystery to us. He absolutely hates men. Especially beards. He'll go out of his way to jump off his perch and and attack my dad while he's minding his own business. No eye contact was made. The only people he will allow to get close to him are me and my mom. However, if my sun conure is sitting on my moms shoulder he'll try to bite me if im near and vice versa. He likes being around me too but once he's on someone's shoulder he'll attack even people that he likes. How do I prevent or even stop the territorial behavior when he's with someone else?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
He is staking his claim and defending it. Similar to how birds in the wild will protect their mate or even particular limb they are sitting on. Your best bet is to keep him off shoulder or if someone is going to approach you have them warn you so you can have him step down. Another thing that may happen if he cannot attack the person getting near you is he may turn and attack you and since he is on shoulder that could mean tearing into ear, nose, lip, eye any part of face.