• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting outside the cage

piainked

Moving in
So I've had my lovebird Peaches for about 8 months now, and she's about 10 months this month. Recently, she's recovered from metal poisoning and today is her last day on those meds. I haven't really been able to train her to take the syringe on her own (and believe me, I have tried ;-; ) so I had to resort to the towel method. I believe she has been nippy before when she was sick and she still is, but it's gotten worse. The weird part is, it's only outside of the cage that she's been biting, but when she's inside the cage, she's fine. I can rub my finger across the bars and she'll come to me asking for head scratches. I looked into it, and it the possible options are: hormones, or sign of illness.

Someone please help me confirm which one it is or if it's something else. I just hope she's not sick again; my funds are depleating because of COVID and the last fee was incredibly heavy on my bank account. But it would be better to know than not.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Peaches hasn't been sexed yet so her gender is uncomfirmed. Though the vet has told me that Peaches might actually be a boy, I still have a habit of calling her a girl hehe.... I could be wrong, but it is hard to tell.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it were hormones it would be the other way around; biting from in the cage but fine outside it.
It could just be Peaches feels safer in there and so, doesn´t bite.

Give it some time after the medication has stopped and you´re no longer toweling him/her and see how things go. Go back to the start, build trust up by feeding treats through cage bars and talking with Peaches, take it slow and go from there :)

piainked

Moving in
Thank you so much! I figured it also had to do with the toweling :( i was having a hard time giving her meds because I know she hated it. I'll definitely work on gaining her trust again. Thank you!