• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting later in day going back to cage

jermajay

Meeting neighbors
My two lorikeets will settle in to sleep about an hour or so before it gets dark. When they settle in, the don't like being touched or asked to do anything, and aren't interested in food, they just want to sleep. This is a problem for me because it means I can't get them back in their cage if they settle outside of it, and they can't stay loose because I sleep in their room and they fly over to my bed a lot. However, I don't think the reason they snap is because they don't want to go into their cage, because they will bite when they've settled in their cage, when I'm not trying to do anything, like when I'm trying to get out food, or even if I look at them. I think they just get a bit crabby at night.

Anyway, I used to fix the problem by putting them to bed before they settle in, and leaving them in their cage. However, now that it starts getting dark earlier, they're settling down really quickly, and if I do that they won't have any out-of-cage time (I go to school). Does anyone have any advice for this? I'm working on target training and step up training during the day, but they don't have any interest in food when they settle. I've just been towelling them to get them in their cage, which I don't like doing.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Have you considered using supplemental lighting to keep them up until their normal time when the seasons change?

How many hours of rest are the getting each night normally vs when it's dark earlier?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Will they step up onto a perch? That way they can bite all they want but you won't feel it ;)

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Would they take a treat as an incentive to go back into their home?

jermajay

Meeting neighbors
Have you considered using supplemental lighting to keep them up until their normal time when the seasons change?

How many hours of rest are the getting each night normally vs when it's dark earlier?
I keep the room's lights on if that's what you mean? Or does it have to be those UV lights? In summer they sleep from 6-6, and now it's 6-4/5, although I still don't put covers on or anything until 6

jermajay

Meeting neighbors
Will they step up onto a perch? That way they can bite all they want but you won't feel it ;)
I'm not sure if they would, but now that you say that I could always just pick up the perch they're on, it's just hanging on a wall. Thank you! I'll try that ^^

jermajay

Meeting neighbors
My picking-up-the-perch plan didn't work :( They got really angry, and all I was doing was touching the end of the perch, farthest away from them. I also tried treats again, I got a big bit of apple so that there was more of a chance of them biting the apple and not me, but that didn't work either. They just aimed at my fingers, haha. So any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d just put them in the cage an hour or so before the time they start to settle.