• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting Jenday Conure

Lesliemz

Checking out the neighborhood
I recently bought a Jenday conure maybe about 3 weeks ago. I bought him at a bird store where they say they hand feed them. But it doesn't seem like they interact with them as much because they are all terrified. But he's gotten better with us and he's been letting me pet him. However , he bites quite a lot. It's like as if he just looks to bite us. I have so many scars already. I'm just looking for a little advice on how I can try and fix this behavior. Or what to do when he does bite. It's so hard not to have a reaction =(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The best way to deal with bites is to not get bitten :) Seems like a joke, but it's not. What is going on right before he bites? Are you asking him to do something he doesn't want to? Does he have a specific body language? Really pay attention to what triggers are and what he does right before the bite. I honestly don't believe there is a bird out there that gives NO warning before they take a chunk out of us, so there should be something you can observe. When you notice this later, don't put your hand near him! Result - you don't get bit! :)

Most likely, he is feeling insecure, afraid, and if he is "telling" you that and you aren't listening, then he is going to use the thing he is learning works - biting - to get the message across.

Just because someone hand feeds a bird doesn't mean that they properly handled it or socialized it. But, this bird's reactions ALSO don't mean that he WASN'T socialized - it just means something is going on that he doesn't enjoy and he doesn't know how to tell you differently.