• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting is out of control, need advice.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I just read up on this thread, and it's such a nice thing to read! You're listening to his needs and preferences, and you're both learning to interact. Chipper has only been here for about 4 months, and still has firm boundaries, like he will not put two feet on my hand to step up, only my arm. BUT, he adjusted from hanging out on shoulders because I asked him to and made my arm the most rewarding place. It's hard to move at their pace sometimes. I want Chipper to enjoy a shower, and come out with us regularly without being afraid of the harness or cage, but he wants to move slowly. Like Paco, he got little interaction for many years after his person died, and he was left with his person's husband. So we move at a snails pace, and I could just burst with love for him. He's also afraid of random things in the house, like a reflection from my phone, or even the fish in the fish tank.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you :ashamed3:

I'm just glad that Paco has finally found a loving home! He's lucky he landed w/ you.

Now, once your finances settle down a bit, what do I have to do to get you to try sprouting? *rubbing hands evily*

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just read up on this thread, and it's such a nice thing to read! You're listening to his needs and preferences, and you're both learning to interact. Chipper has only been here for about 4 months, and still has firm boundaries, like he will not put two feet on my hand to step up, only my arm. BUT, he adjusted from hanging out on shoulders because I asked him to and made my arm the most rewarding place. It's hard to move at their pace sometimes. I want Chipper to enjoy a shower, and come out with us regularly without being afraid of the harness or cage, but he wants to move slowly. Like Paco, he got little interaction for many years after his person died, and he was left with his person's husband. So we move at a snails pace, and I could just burst with love for him. He's also afraid of random things in the house, like a reflection from my phone, or even the fish in the fish tank.
Heya, are you sprouting for that Huge flock yet?

*rubbing hands evily again*

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That being said it can be a pain initially but... There are vitamins & minerals there you are not going to find anywhere else w/out eating a huge amount (more than they can eat, IMO). Ok, I know I'm a sprout snob, but I didn't initially & it was a mistake especially w/ Buddy being malnurished from 23-25 yrs of all seeds. They're his favorite thing to have now I think. We had cereal for about a week, different kinds & near the end it ALL was landing on the floor of the cage. I HAD to start again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Rain Bow yes I want to do sprouts. I tried chic peas from grocery store but they never sprouted, just turned to mush. Yesterday he even went for the broccoli instead of the warm oatmeal :yahoo:He is making great progress!! :bliss:

His feathers are growing in, still losing a few, I believe he is molting.

Should I be worried? The tips of some of the feathers are not round they have a V shape and I was wondering if its food related, diet, stress or what it is, will try to get a photo posted.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmmm, Buddy had some that are V shaped. @Mizzely may know... She may have or know the link about feathers still we had a thread running for awhile... It would take me a month to find it.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
That being said it can be a pain initially but... There are vitamins & minerals there you are not going to find anywhere else w/out eating a huge amount (more than they can eat, IMO). Ok, I know I'm a sprout snob, but I didn't initially & it was a mistake especially w/ Buddy being malnurished from 23-25 yrs of all seeds. They're his favorite thing to have now I think. We had cereal for about a week, different kinds & near the end it ALL was landing on the floor of the cage. I HAD to start again.
:rofl: I thought you were being cheeky and asking if I still wanted a huge flock!
I'm not sprouting yet, but I want to!! I'm afraid of doing it wrong and getting them moldy!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Rain Bow yes I want to do sprouts. I tried chic peas from grocery store but they never sprouted, just turned to mush. Yesterday he even went for the broccoli instead of the warm oatmeal :yahoo:He is making great progress!! :bliss:

His feathers are growing in, still losing a few, I believe he is molting.

Should I be worried? The tips of some of the feathers are not round they have a V shape and I was wondering if its food related, diet, stress or what it is, will try to get a photo posted.
Chipper's V shaped feathers are from him snipping them with his beak. I think for him, some is intentional, and some is from over preening. Probably from boredom at the rescue.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'm with you @TikkiTembo I am afraid of sprouting seeds wrong and make him sick.

As for the V shaped feathers, he does preen a lot, I don't think he is plucking anymore he is still fuzzy from new feathers. I am home most of the day and he is either singing, whistling, eating or preening.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I will continue to work with him. I'm sure moving to a new house and he is in a different room and his previous owner had him for 6 years. She did tell me that he didn't like one of the men that he used to live with. I don't know how he was treated but I do know his cage was filthy. Took me 3 days to get the gunk off of it and there was 6 inches of shredded soiled paper in his cage. Poor Paco even smelled. So that's another new thing for him, I clean his cage at least 2 times a day if not more.

He isn't used to someone being in his space and I have to respect that. I always tell him,"dirty birdie, lets get cleaned up" and any time I vacuum near him.

Just posting here really helps. We have made great strides in his diet, he is clean and I think he even gained a little weight. He was so scruffy when I first got him. He gets a shower every Saturday and he has even started to lift his wings for the spray.

I know it will take time. It just gets' frustrating and man does my hand hurt!
Remember each time he bites, it is a rehearsal for more of the same. Don't guess if he is going to bite or not, watch for signs or body language. When they bite as you are about to put them down, find ways to put them down so they don't have the opportunity. For the bigs, I would do something that would redirect that idea to bite, like lift your arm up and go "woooo!" You can also put something in their beaks, one hand bird, one hand something for their beak if needed. I personally put them lower then the place they have to step up on to, so they need their beak to lift themselves up.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Here is Mr. Picky with broccoli on his beak, warm oatmeal, and carrots, yum yum, LOL (gross)
He does look a little bitter lol
Put a perch on his door so you can place him there, then close it. Then you aren't going into their territory

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually place Buddy down w/ my arm above my head. Sometimes down & into the cage but we have a few years of trust between us now. When I place him on his perch above my head, he's more relaxed than if I lower him below my head & place him onto the cage perch. Great advice @Danita ! Sometimes the simplest answers are the ones you do, & don't think about... Based on all the reading I've done, parrots not only are more comfortable above us but prefer looking down on the world...

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Danita not sure how I could a perch on his door, it closes and it is flush with the cage. He flips on anything new, you should have seen me screwing his new cups to the cage. He only had on porcelain bowl that was pock marked and cruddy and the previous owner had a water bottle hanging outside of the cage (filled with brown slimy water) shiver.... so now he has two stainless steel bowls and a large plastic one for water that is screwed in.. Little stinker figured out how to throw bowls. I have resorted bribing him with a treat and get in the cage on his own and have stopped asking him to step up. Maybe we can try again soon.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wonder if a different cage with better access to inside might help?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Dunno how that last post got there, a duplicate? I really don't have the money right now for a new cage, I've been out of work since October, starting a new job Tuesday but the pay isn't very good.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Congrats on the new job! It might not be much, but it's something. Perhaps you'll be able to find a better job eventually. Small steps.

Can you share a picture of his entire cage and maybe we can come up with some other ideas?