• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting Feet?!

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
So, Earlier today, My cockatiel Sunny was sitting in her cage and consuming some millet, just as my lovebird flew on the outside of her cage and climbed down to where the millet was and started eating it with her. She was on the inside.They looked so happy! He was tweeting and flapped his wings. Then he flew to me, and they seem to get along. He only gets a little threatening when she gets near his cage. Anyway, Just right now I let him out, he went onto her cage and like Nibble/Bit her feet? And she jumped back and made a little squeak. Is this normal? Bad sign or good sign? Help!

I have a YouTube channel called.... "The Best Birds" If it does not come up when searching that, try "Pippin the lovebird" Be sure to subscribe!!

:tiel2:Sunshine :rflb:Pippin

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Biting feet is him being a brat, trying to get a reaction or possibly being dominant. I would be careful though, Sunshine could end up with some missing toes if he becomes real aggressive. The feet are sensitive so it's a good way for him to get the other bird to move out of the way too. I would generally say nothing good will come from this behavior, if it would me I would try to nip this in the bud.

Loki will sometimes go for her girlfriend's, Penelope, feet when she comes over for a play date because Penelope was in her corner and she wanted to be there.

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Lucy bit Angel really bad. His chest was deeply gouged, one toe gone altogether, and another half gone. Emergency vet trip, couple hour surgery, stayed at the hospital, then meds and stitches care for several weeks. It was a nightmare. I thought I was going to lose my baby!

In my opinion, if they can't play nice together, don't take the chance!

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Lucy bit Angel really bad. His chest was deeply gouged, one toe gone altogether, and another half gone. Emergency vet trip, couple hour surgery, stayed at the hospital, then meds and stitches care for several weeks. It was a nightmare. I thought I was going to lose my baby!

In my opinion, if they can't play nice together, don't take the chance!
Oh boy, Thanks for all of that advice! So, how to you let both of your bird out if they don't get along? Go back and forth? because, thats what i do now with Sunny and Pippin

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Oh boy, Thanks for all of that advice! So, how to you let both of your bird out if they don't get along? Go back and forth? because, thats what i do now with Sunny and Pippin
Lucy isn't allowed out of her cage in their bedroom. She goes after all 3 boys! So she has the 7'x5' macaw cage and comes out with me to the play area every day. I have to keep her separated from them. Its sad but I have no choice. The boys cage doors are never closed, and they don't like being shut in. So a separate play area for her was the only fair thing to do to ensure everyone is safe as well as happy.

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Lucy isn't allowed out of her cage in their bedroom. She goes after all 3 boys! So she has the 7'x5' macaw cage and comes out with me to the play area every day. I have to keep her separated from them. Its sad but I have no choice. The boys cage doors are never closed, and they don't like being shut in. So a separate play area for her was the only fair thing to do to ensure everyone is safe as well as happy.
Nice! I might have to work something out like that our for Pippin and Sunshine. I don't think I could bear getting rid of any of my birdie babies! I absolutely love parrots, their my passion. I see so many people get rid of their parrots, because they don't have enough time, or something didn't go like they thought it would. Thanks again!

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
I mean I would try and find a way to prevent this type of behavior.
Yes.... I get that now. XD

Nice! I might have to work something out like that our for Pippin and Sunshine. I don't think I could bear getting rid of any of my birdie babies! I absolutely love parrots, their my passion. I see so many people get rid of their parrots, because they don't have enough time, or something didn't go like they thought it would. Thanks again!
What I meant is... I get that its good that they want a better place for the parrot to go. So it can get more attention, its just so sad how many impulse buys there are. Like, they don't do research or something.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm not rehoming anybirdie so this is the best I could work out. As I train with Lucy I'm hoping one day she will get along with the boys. But it's already been several years so it's definitely not something I can rush. And if it never happens, well that's fine too. I don't believe any of my crew are having anything but a great birdie life!

The key is to never give up!

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
I Totally understand that!! I don't plan on ever rehoming any of my parrots as well. All I was saying is that, I feel bad for all the impulse buys people have. :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I Totally understand that!! I don't plan on ever rehoming any of my parrots as well. All I was saying is that, I feel bad for all the impulse buys people have. :)
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I wish I could rescue them all! People ask me all the time why I keep a bird like Lucy and I just say I Love Her! That shuts them up every time!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Toe nipping in my house would be rife if I let them do what they want. I like to cover top, back and side of the cages with birds in while I have one group out. Then switch. My birds are allowed out in two groups :)

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Toe nipping in my house would be rife if I let them do what they want. I like to cover top, back and side of the cages with birds in while I have one group out. Then switch. My birds are allowed out in two groups :)
Thats a great idea!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Isla does the same to bee! Be careful with it, try your best to prevent it.