• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting Feathers

reecespuff

Moving in
Hi! I’m new, but I have been really worried. My sun conure Peach has been biting his flight feathers. We just moved, so it might be the fact he’s in a new environment? I don’t know, I’m just beyond worried. He is my little baby.
He is currently on the Zupreem Fruit Blend pellets, and he gets grapes and banana sometimes. Any advice is very very appreciated. I attached some images of his wings.

Attachments

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Just watching for answers with you. I have a barber too.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Please take note this is just my personal opinion and taken from my experience with 20 years with birds. I would start by cutting back on the sugar, Concurs are little high strung to begin with so you have to watch out feeding them fruits that are high in sugar. Go to a couple of different sites & gather information on diets for your bird. We know what sugar does to our human bodies well its the same for birds but they have fewer choices on releasing that sugar energy. I am not a huge fan of anything food artificially colored but again a personal choice, Make sure he gets plenty of out of cage time to help boredom that's the second-highest reason birds start these bad self-destruction habits-boredom. It can be stopped before it becomes habit so please act quickly as once its a habit you will have a hard time breaking that habit. Good luck and thank-you for caring enough to reach out.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I agree with thhe above comment. As far as I know, Zupreem fruuit blend has sugar in it. I would suggest switching to pellets that have no sugar. Cut back on fruit as well if you can, although squeezing the juice of grapes etc. over the new pellets might help transitioning.

Give your bird preening toys and make feeding take as long as you can. I almost never free feed. Absolutely everything comes in foraging form.

Similar situation here. Mine chews feathers too. This is the advice I can give you as it seemed to help mine a lot.

:grouphug3:

reecespuff

Moving in
Okay guys. Here’s an update. I don’t know if he’s molting or something, but he just pulled out four feathers while sitting on my leg.

Attachments

reecespuff

Moving in
Okay guys. Here’s an update. I don’t know if he’s molting or something, but he just pulled out four feathers while sitting on my leg.
i’ve been seeing a lot of people saying their birds are molting, so i’m a little less worried :/

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Referring to the last picture, it is molting season and those look moulted. I also tend to fall into these thoughs and start panicking so I understand but I don't think there is a need to be worried at this point.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Pulled them out or knocked them loose while preening?