• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting cockatiel

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Ive had my cockatiel since she was abt 1mth old (I've even hand fed her for a few day). Buy she doesn't seem to fully trust me even though it's been 7mths together. She will let me scritch her head but will bite me if I touch her wings/back (in her cage). When she's outside, sometimes when I try to scritch her head she vigorously starts biting/rubbing her beak on my hand/shoulder wherever she is. She also does not let me carry her by grabbing her/ touch her wings/back, she runs away. Could you help me identify why this is and how I can train her? Tia

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Force weaning usually does not make very secure or confident adult birds.

If you got this bird at a month old, you should have fed her for 6-8weeks approx. - not ¨a few days¨.

will bite me if I touch her wings/back
when I try to scritch her head she vigorously starts biting
She also does not let me carry her by grabbing her/ touch her wings/back
1. touching wings and back are a big no-no. It is something only a sexual mate would do, and that is not a role you should want nor can fullfill.

2. going off what you said, the only times she is biting, are when you are trying to be physical, touching her.

3. it takes a very special tight bond for a bird to allow you to ¨grab¨ them (gently pick them up with your hands around them, not in a forceful way)

Try to be a little more hands-off with her. spend times near her, talking to her, offer some treats and other fave foods from your hand, but no petting, scritching, touching or stroking. First build the trust. Try singing songs, dancing and playing with toys together.
If she wants to have her head scritched, she will bow, and you can take that as an invite.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Zara already offered good advice. I'll just add that it's important to follow a bird's lead. They're not like dogs or cats where you can pretty much pet them whenever you want. With a bird, it's really about when they want. Cockatiels usually also only bite if their warning signals are being ignored. Your tiel is probably telling you she doesn't want touched and then biting because her warning is being disregarded. I actually always ask my birds if they want scratched. That may sound silly but I do it with a little finger motion. If they want scratched, they put their heads down. If they don't, then I don't scratch them. Are you trying to teach your bird to step up? Some birds are nervous about stepping up on hands, so you can see if she'll step up on a perch for now. Keep in mind your bird is still a baby and still learning to trust you.

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Force weaning usually does not make very secure or confident adult birds.

If you got this bird at a month old, you should have fed her for 6-8weeks approx. - not ¨a few days¨.

1. touching wings and back are a big no-no. It is something only a sexual mate would do, and that is not a role you should want nor can fullfill.

2. going off what you said, the only times she is biting, are when you are trying to be physical, touching her.

3. it takes a very special tight bond for a bird to allow you to ¨grab¨ them (gently pick them up with your hands around them, not in a forceful way)

Try to be a little more hands-off with her. spend times near her, talking to her, offer some treats and other fave foods from your hand, but no petting, scritching, touching or stroking. First build the trust. Try singing songs, dancing and playing with toys together.
If she wants to have her head scritched, she will bow, and you can take that as an invite.
Thanks a lot. Sorry, I guess I was wrong with my phrasing, I did hand feed her for quite awhile after I got her from the brebreeder. Thanks for the useful advice

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Zara already offered good advice. I'll just add that it's important to follow a bird's lead. They're not like dogs or cats where you can pretty much pet them whenever you want. With a bird, it's really about when they want. Cockatiels usually also only bite if their warning signals are being ignored. Your tiel is probably telling you she doesn't want touched and then biting because her warning is being disregarded. I actually always ask my birds if they want scratched. That may sound silly but I do it with a little finger motion. If they want scratched, they put their heads down. If they don't, then I don't scratch them. Are you trying to teach your bird to step up? Some birds are nervous about stepping up on hands, so you can see if she'll step up on a perch for now. Keep in mind your bird is still a baby and still learning to trust you.
She is fine with stepping up on command and she will even respond to close distance recall training. Thanks . I will look out for her head bowing. But is it common for her to ask for scritches (bow her head) whenever she's in the cage but does not want it when she is outside?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
But is it common for her to ask for scritches (bow her head) whenever she's in the cage but does not want it when she is outside?
She probably just feels more comfortable in her cage. If she's scared or uncomfortable outside her cage, she won't calm down enough to let you touch her.