• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting budgie!

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
My budgie Pastel used to step up and sit for a few seconds, then step down. Recently, I put him on a rope perch slightly outside his cage when he stepped up. I did this twice, and praised him both times even though he immediately went back into the cage. Looking back, I think he wanted to step down, but I moved too quickly for him to do so. After that time, he will not step up and will go so far as to bite my finger very hard if I put my hand near his tummy. Will he get over this phase? Is he just a little cranky?

milliebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Evie
whenever he bites, don't pull your hand away because that is like rewarding him for biting you. how long have you had pastel? don't move to fast and observe his body language carefully

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
whenever he bites, don't pull your hand away because that is like rewarding him for biting you. how long have you had pastel? don't move to fast and observe his body language carefully
I got him in November. Thank you for that advice, I will definitely observe more

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Recently, I put him on a rope perch slightly outside his cage when he stepped up
Do you mean its actually in the cage but sticking out?

I wonder if he is biting you because you're invading his territory.

Are you getting him to step up from inside or outside the cage?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You really should move away before the bite meets your skin, leaving your finger there just makes them bite harder and learn that you don’t respect their space. As soon as a bite comes, move away and ignore the bird for 30 seconds so they understand that biting doesn’t get them attention, also, don’t put them on the cage when they bite, because they will learn that biting is free transportation.

Imagine that a Macaw was crushing you fingers, and someone told you to just leave your fingers there.

clarousel

You really should move away before the bite meets your skin, leaving your finger there just makes them bite harder and learn that you don’t respect their space. As soon as a bite comes, move away and ignore the bird for 30 seconds so they understand that biting doesn’t get them attention, also, don’t put them on the cage when they bite, because they will learn that biting is free transportation.

Imagine that a Macaw was crushing you fingers, and someone told you to just leave your fingers there.
What about in the case where the bite is unexpected or caught you by surprise? Although that is debatable with you not reading the bird's body language :huh:

BirdWorld

If he is molting or overtired he might be grumpy, that could cause biting.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What about in the case where the bite is unexpected or caught you by surprise? Although that is debatable with you not reading the bird's body language :huh:
Just move away as soon as you can, try not to agravate your bird.

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Do you mean its actually in the cage but sticking out?

I wonder if he is biting you because you're invading his territory.

Are you getting him to step up from inside or outside the cage?
I get him to step up from inside the cage, and put him down inside. He doesn’t like it when I move him, and will step off if I seem like I’m taking him out of the cage

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max

I’ll definitely move away, but the thing is, he wants me to go away. Going away would be like a reward to him, as that’s what he wants me to do

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I’ll definitely move away, but the thing is, he wants me to go away. Going away would be like a reward to him, as that’s what he wants me to do
Imagine someone was in your space, and you wanted them to go away, but no matter what you did, they wouldn’t leave.

While leaving may seem like you’re rewarding them, staying will greatly damage your trust

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I get him to step up from inside the cage, and put him down inside. He doesn’t like it when I move him, and will step off if I seem like I’m taking him out of the cage
Let him come out at his own speed, would you like someone to force you out of your home?

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Imagine someone was in your space, and you wanted them to go away, but no matter what you did, they wouldn’t leave.

While leaving may seem like you’re rewarding them, staying will greatly damage your trust
I never thought of it that way, thank you!

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
One thing that really stopped biting for me is to let them step up on their own or sort of jump onto yoir fonger bybthemselves. The whole push on their stomach technique is quite uncomfortable for my birds. Obviously you will need to your birds to be more motivated but if you can do that it stopped about 90% of all my biting