• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Biting and bleeding...

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Does anyone know some tricks to towel her in the cage more easily? I just finished doing this, and it took me some time. I do it with two hands, but I can barely put them inside or move them. I dont trust myself with doing it with just one hand, Im afraid I might put too much pressure on her. I have seen videos and people were grabing the bird by the neck first and I am not confident trying it.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is she with stepping up or you just holding her? You don't necessarily have to towel a bird to give meds.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
How is she with stepping up or you just holding her? You don't necessarily have to towel a bird to give meds.
That is the problem. She isnt accustomed to any of those. She is anti-social and it is my fault that I havent tried teaching her.
I literally hate myself that I havent taught her any of those things and here I am, in this kind of situation, stressing the bird out because I am one stupid owner.

Last edited:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will she come out of the cage on her own? It would probably be easier if you can get her out and then towel her.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Will she come out of the cage on her own? It would probably be easier if you can get her out and then towel her.
Instead of coming out, she will just dart like a bullet and then it becomes even more difficult to catch her inside the room.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will she take the medication without being toweled? Some birds are not bothered by syringes.
You can sometimes put medication on a favorite treat but you have to be sure that the bird will eat all of it so he/she gets the full dosage. I had to do that with my Amazon parrot.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Will she take the medication without being toweled? Some birds are not bothered by syringes.
You can sometimes put medication on a favorite treat but you have to be sure that the bird will eat all of it so he/she gets the full dosage. I had to do that with my Amazon parrot.
I am not so sure about that. I have nutriberries that I could give her, but dont know if she will eat them on time or all of them.
I am also in a bit of a dilemma. I have made her cage half the size it was and after I towel her she seems to be restless, always trying to escape and being a contortionist. I know she must feel trapped. I put her some bird sounds and I hope she will calm down. Should I make her cage the original size with the risk of being harder and taking longer to towel her?

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
So I am having a little bit of a problem. I dont have anyone to help me in the morning to give her the meds, so I was wondering if I should try and put the drops in nutriberries.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I found the solution. I will give her the meds through the bars, since my last failed attempt to towel her (+biting) made me do it that way.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it the taste of the medication or the syringe? You can draw up the medication and then draw up a small amount of unsweetened apple juice to flavor the medication and see if she will take it that way. If that doesn't work and she likes any types of fruits or vegetables I would put the medication on that but she has to eat the entire piece that has the medication. Since nutriberries have seeds, when those are hulled she probably wouldn't be getting the medication. Also she might just pick out which parts of the nutriberries she wants and not get the medication.
What other things does she like? Small piece of toast with a little bit of unsalted almond butter?

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Is it the taste of the medication or the syringe? You can draw up the medication and then draw up a small amount of unsweetened apple juice to flavor the medication and see if she will take it that way. If that doesn't work and she likes any types of fruits or vegetables I would put the medication on that but she has to eat the entire piece that has the medication. Since nutriberries have seeds, when those are hulled she probably wouldn't be getting the medication. Also she might just pick out which parts of the nutriberries she wants and not get the medication.
What other things does she like? Small piece of toast with a little bit of unsalted almond butter?
The problem with the medication is that it is already in the syringe and thats all I got from the vet. I have given her the medication through the bars this night and it seems to have worked since she lunges for the syringe and bites it.
Thank you for the taking time to reply, I'll have your answer in mind if anything doesn't work :)

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The problem with the medication is that it is already in the syringe and thats all I got from the vet. I have given her the medication through the bars this night and it seems to have worked since she lunges for the syringe and bites it.
As long as that works and she is getting medication just keep doing it that way.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Hello. I am back. I have a question to ask.
Is this poop looking normal? The photo was taken this morning 20200806_091946.jpg

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Update : So when I thought she stopped the picking and biting, she just proved me wrong. I am literally on the last day of treatment and she does that. I literally don't know what to do anymore.

Attachments