• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Biting and bleeding...

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Hello. I have just been to the vet because of one nail she broke and had to get the stitch out and apparently she broke another nail. The vet gave me some meds to give her and stopped the bleeding, but no sooner I arrive home, that she starts prodding with her beak and the blood starts coming out. I'm literally at my end with the bird. She seems to be self destructive and I cant deal with her, I just feel like fainting everytime I look at her. I don't know if this sounds mean or not, but I am just wondering if I should just put her down or not....I'm in such a weak mental state right now....

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Press cornflour on the bleeding, see if you can get it to stop. If not, you will need to return to the vet.

I am just wondering if I should just put her down or not....I'm in such a weak mental state right now....
Hand her over to a sanctuary/rescue before putting her down. Give her a chance.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Press cornflour on the bleeding, see if you can get it to stop. If not, you will need to return to the vet.

Hand her over to a sanctuary/rescue before putting her down. Give her a chance.
Hi, in my country, there is no such thing as a sanctuary or a rescue.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First keep trying to stop the bleeding. Cornstarch or Kwik Stop (don't know if you can get that but maybe something similar that is bird safe) can help but you need to apply pressure to the bleeding area for at least a minute, sometimes more.
No reason to have your bird euthanized. If the bird is getting to you and you can't deal with her then find her a new home.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Update : The bleeding did stop, seemed to be fine. Called the vet and he told me to use hydrogen peroxide if there is a major bleeding. I just put a blanket atop of her cage for sleep and looked inside just to see another bleeding, but that seemed to have stopped too.
I am sorry that I asked you guys if I should put her down or not, it was because of my overwhelming feelings and fear. I just fear that she might just bleed a lot during the night and there might not be anything to do for her.
I also have to towel her, and I'm afraid to towel her inside the cage since she is quite wild and I might injure her or something, but I have to administer her the antibiotics in the morning and evening and eventually stop a major bleeder if there is one to come.
The vet also told me to put a collar around her neck to stop her from biting and bleeding, but the only one to have them don't have them in stock, so I have to re-check on Monday (that seems like a long time...) and eventually make another appointment.
Can someone help me with how to towel her and treat her for when I am alone? I usually have someone around the house, but not all the time, so I want to be prepared in case something happens.
Also, can someone confirm if hydrogen peroxide really does stop major bleedings?

Also need some tips on how not to freak out really bad when seeing blood. My only response to blood is either getting lightheaded or just fleeing or panicking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can someone help me with how to towel her and treat her for when I am alone?
Take a look at this thread. John has posted some videos, some are toweling tecniques, others are for bleeding;

Also, can someone confirm if hydrogen peroxide really does stop major bleedings?
I found this response to someone else with a bleeding bird; (Hankmacaw knows her stuff with injured/ sick birds)
Do not use Hydrogen Peroxide or Alcohol both have a tendency to burn the skin and flesh.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
The problem is that I don't have anything else to stop the bleeding.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Take a look at this thread. John has posted some videos, some are toweling tecniques, others are for bleeding;

I found this response to someone else with a bleeding bird; (Hankmacaw knows her stuff with injured/ sick birds)
If I encounter a bleeding, should I use hydrogen peroxide and then flour? I am asking this as a temporary solution until I go to the store and buy cornstarch and cayenne powder.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Another question that I have about bleeding.
The only things available for me to buy are betadine, methylene blue, saline solution, cornstarch, flour.
(The vet also told me to use vitamin K, but I can't buy drops because I need medical prescription, only pills are available.) Which one would be the best for disinfecting and stopping the bleeding?
As for bandaging, if there is the need to, what kind of bandages do I need to use? The vet told me not to use any bandages because there is a risk for nails to get caught in the bandage, but I want to have some supplies just in case.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My vet has told me - more than once - to never use peroxide or alcohol on a bird. All you need to do to stop bleeding is to press plain old flour or cornstarch on the area bleeding for a minute or two. Nothing fancy nor difficult about doing that.

For bandaging you would use gauze pads or plain gauze and wrap the bandage with vet wrap. Acollar (temporary ) can be made by you by cutting a circle of cabrdboard cutting a small circle in the center the cut from the outside to the inside. Make a cone shape out of it to fit your then tape the cut from the outside to inside together.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
If she has a small bleeding that stops, do I need to disinfect it or do something about it? Or even after a bleeding that stopped with cornstarch, do I need to rinse/disinfect it with something?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't, because that would probably start the bleeding again. However, if she continues to pick and bleed, you should ask your vet whether she should be on an antibiotic or antibiotic cream to prevent infection.

ETA: Sorry, just saw that she is on an antibiotic. That should prevent infection so you don't need to rinse.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I wouldn't, because that would probably start the bleeding again. However, if she continues to pick and bleed, you should ask your vet whether she should be on an antibiotic or antibiotic cream to prevent infection.

ETA: Sorry, just saw that she is on an antibiotic. That should prevent infection so you don't need to rinse.
She has some old blood crusted along one of her fingers. Should I clean it with something? It makes her finger look dark-ish.
Also, she keeps prodding with her beak where she used to have a nail, and it makes it bright red, but blood isn't spilling anymore.
I have to give her the antibiotics this evening, and I was thinking on putting cornstarch on the wound she keeps prodding and maybe make some sort of bandage (?) But I am afraid she will try even harder to remove it and make the bleeding even worse.
Any advice is welcome.

(I am waiting for Monday to try and see if the a specialized clinic is stocked with collars and eventually try and go with her that same day. I just really wish to have this problem solved)

Last edited:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would just leave it alone if blood isn't dripping. Can you get some pain meds from the vet? That would probably help.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I would just leave it alone if blood isn't dripping. Can you get some pain meds from the vet? That would probably help.
I have one antibiotic and one anti-inflammatory that I give her, and the vet is already closed.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, the anti-inflammatory should help, then. Can you do anything to distract her from messing with it? Favorite treats?

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Oh, the anti-inflammatory should help, then. Can you do anything to distract her from messing with it? Favorite treats?
I could give her some nuts or some nutriberrries, but I dont know how much time it will work.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Give it a try :)