• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bitey??

animalover

Jogging around the block
my cockatiel bites a lot, at first it was playful and he didnt know how to bite, but over a span of a day, his bites started hurting a lot, he steps up to our fingers, but bites before he does, I'm not sure why this is happening, I know alot of cockatiels are like this, but does It get better?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Does he step up willingly? It sounds like he doesn’t really feel like stepping up, but feels like he has to. The best way to stop biting is to avoid getting bit, otherwise they become a habit. You can try giving him some millet as he’s stepping up, so he eats that and gets rewarded instead of bites. You can also try having him step up on the back of your hand, your arm, or a stick.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Does he step up willingly? It sounds like he doesn’t really feel like stepping up, but feels like he has to. The best way to stop biting is to avoid getting bit, otherwise they become a habit. You can try giving him some millet as he’s stepping up, so he eats that and gets rewarded instead of bites. You can also try having him step up on the back of your hand, your arm, or a stick.
he steps up willingly, and as soon as hes on my arm he runs to my shoulder and stays there lol,I do pull my finger away every time I see him coming for it, he just really likes biting fingers idk why, okay ill try the millet, I do that sometimes but not all the time because millet goes all over the room.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
he steps up willingly, and as soon as hes on my arm he runs to my shoulder and stays there lol,I do pull my finger away every time I see him coming for it, he just really likes biting fingers idk why, okay ill try the millet, I do that sometimes but not all the time because millet goes all over the room.
Yeah, I remember thinking that about millet, but I decided it was worth it because it was the best training treat. Now I just vacuum every day :mariecleans:(sometimes twice in areas) and ignore it the rest of the day. And I’m a neat freak. I look as it as a opportunity to grow and be more flexible lol!:roflmao:

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Do you say anything or make any noise when you pull your finger away? And is he okay with stepping up off your shoulder?

animalover

Jogging around the block
Do you say anything or make any noise when you pull your finger away? And is he okay with stepping up off your shoulder?
idk I randomly say stuff, but I do every time, just different stuff, yeah he's fine with getting off my shoulder but he likes it there and gets groggy sometimes lol, idk if I answered it right but yea.

animalover

Jogging around the block
update: I think he was just being playful as his bites got softer and he doesn't want to bite anymore, the day I made this post was the day he learned how to actually bite lol, idk yeah basically he's better now