• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Biscotti (Dove) Looks Sick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I'm so worried right now. About two hours ago I found Biscotti sitting in a corner of their cage (sitting down on the bottom of their cage is normal for them) but she was puffed up & it almost looked like she had vomited or something. The feathers under her beak & on her chest had some yellow gunk (vomit?) on it :(

I put her in a hospital cage, and shes away from Pumpernickel in case he causes her stress. There are no perches, shes laying on some towels.
I got her to take a drink twice, could she be dehydrated?

The vet isn't open today, my mom is reluctant to take her because I just spend money on some new toys today. But she said tomorrow we can take her if she isn't better. Another problem is tomorrow night I am going to a friends house till Tuesday. And I don't want to leave Biscotti if she doesn't get better but I sorta have to go to my friends.

What else can I do for her now? I have her in a smaller cage covered all but one side.. theres a small light by her and shes where I can see her. The cage has lots of soft towels, and food/water.

Please help! :(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
The most important thing is that she is kept warm and hydrated until she can see the vet. Can you look at her vent and see if she might be egg bound? Is she pooing okay?

Ginger

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
First of all, i don't think i would wait if i were you. If your mom doesn't want to take her to the vet because 'you just bought a couple toys' i think thats completely irresponsible & a bad reason. It doesn't sound like your mom cares much about your birds..

If I were you, I wouldn't even THINK about going over to my friends if there was something wrong with Cookie.

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
The most important thing is that she is kept warm and hydrated until she can see the vet. Can you look at her vent and see if she might be egg bound? Is she pooing okay?

Ginger
Shes in the warmest part of our house. And I'll make sure she drinks more..
I looked a her vent, there is nothing I can see. She looks toatlly normal. Her droppings are a little big, and are more white then normal. They are normally brown with white. They are almost all white.

First of all, i don't think i would wait if i were you. If your mom doesn't want to take her to the vet because 'you just bought a couple toys' i think thats completely irresponsible & a bad reason. It doesn't sound like your mom cares much about your birds..

If I were you, I wouldn't even THINK about going over to my friends if there was something wrong with Cookie.
Its not that she is totally against going, she'll bring me. But she was not happy with the idea. I'll try calling the vet :(

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I'm not trying to be rude, but I am not looking for people to tell me that my mom is being rude or anything like that. She has agreed to take her if needed (it is needed, I understand that ;)) I need some advice on maybe what it could be and anything else I can do :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Sweetie,

Do you have an avian vet?

Ginger

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I'm sorry, Bethany, i thought you meant your mom didn't want to take her.
I think it would be best to try to get her to a vet ASAP, though..
Is there any way you can stay home from going to your friends so you can watch over her? I hope she's okay..

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If she's fluffed and on the bottom of her cage she is in distress. Also if she's been vomitting I don't know if I would wait. Can you call your vet and get their opinion?

Ginger

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I could stay home, and sorry, I'm just really worried. I had a budgie before this that died because I was too irrisponsible to contact a vet. And I don't want that to happen again.
I'll see if there is an emergency number I can contact.
She isn't puffy anymore only a tiny bit, and wanted to come out & sit on my shoulder. Shes with me now, and is looking a bit better. I got her to drink a little more. Shes moving around now.
Could it have been a small thing that just passed like that?
I'll still call the vet tomorrow.

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
It wouldn't hurt to just call the vet and see what they say

:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Okay, I'm really concerned. Keep her warm and hydrated and call the vet first thing in the morning. She is definately sick and needs to be seen ASAP.

Ginger

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
It wouldn't hurt to just call the vet and see what they say

:hug8:
Okay, I'm really concerned. Keep her warm and hydrated and call the vet first thing in the morning. She is definately sick and needs to be seen ASAP.

Ginger
She is totally back to normal :eek: I'm not kidding! I don't know what happened, she began to perk up a bit after drinking more. Now shes calling to Pumpernickel & hopping around. She ate seed & is acting just like herself. Shes also is preening herself. Shes not puffy anymore either! :huh:
Could it have passed? I'm still calling the vet, I want to make sure nothing is wrong. My mom thinks something might have gone down wrong or something, she vomited, didn't feel well, and after drinking/resting she felt better..?
Thanks for everyones help so far :hug8:
But she also could be masking it yet feeling a little better.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Birds just dont vomit like that...I still feel that something is wrong dear and a vet visit is in order..they really are very good at hiding their illnesses

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
None of my birds have ever vomited, I'm calling the vet right when they open :)

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Another thing, we found no vomit anywhere but on her chest. Humm, birds can be so confusing!

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Do you weigh your birds, Bethany? Do you know if Biscotti has lost weight?

I'm very glad you are taking her to the vet. She must have realised that you singled her out because she was acting sick and then her instincts kicked in so she is trying really hard to act normal.

I have had birds vomit for a number of reasons. Monster (budgie) vomited because she had Trich, Bubblegum (budgie) vomited because she had worms, Pickpocket (budgie) vomited because she had an adverse reaction to her antibiotics and Wonka (pigeon) vomited because she had an oviduct infection. So it really can be a number of things, but the answer has never been that they just had a passing illness that fixed itself.

Make sure that your avian vet examines Biscotti's poop and perhaps also take a swab from her crop. I know a lot of vets who just look at a bird and then declare them healthy without actual performing any tests. :rolleyes: Birds are so tricky. You really need to do a few things before being able to determine if there is a problem and what it could be.

Please keep us updated! I hope you can find out what is wrong with Biscotti and how to treat it! :)

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I don't weigh them, I never remembered to buy a scale! I'm also going to look for one.. I'm not going to clean her cage, I'll make sure the poop stays :p
Thanks for your advice, I hope its not a severe issue :( Shes just beginning to fall asleep now, but I'm bringing her up to my room for the night so that I can keep an eye on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.