• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birthday Pancakes (A recipe for the whole family)

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
At @Zara's request, here is how I made Poppy's birthday pancakes (and some people pancakes too).

20201126_112056.jpg

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour (wheat preferred, all I had was white)
  • 1 ½ tsp baking soda (pure sodium bicarbonate, no aluminum)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups lactose free milk
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • butter (for the pan)
  • coconut or neutral oil (for the pan)
  • optional additions: pellet powder, flax seeds, hemp hearts, fruit, veggies, etc.
Instructions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine flour, eggs, milk, and baking soda.
  2. Remove about half a cup of this mixture, set aside for the parrots.
  3. In the large mixing bowl, add salt, sugar, vanilla extract, and any other additions the humans would like.
  4. In the serving that was set aside, add pellet powder, hemp hearts, and any other additions the parrots would like.
  5. Heat up some coconut oil or neutral oil in the pan for the parrot pancakes. Pour as big of a cake as would suit the size of your parrot.
  6. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add butter. Cook the people pancakes.

Cooking in stainless steel can be frustrating, but here are some tips that I've picked up to make the pancakes perfect every time without sticking:
  • BEFORE ADDING ANY OIL, heat the pan up on high to burn off any water or other things that are on the pan's surface. To test if the pan is hot enough, run your fingers under the tap and flick a few drops of water in the pan. They should bounce around in droplets over the surface, not stay in one spot.
  • Burn off the water that you used to test the heat. Turn down the heat to medium.
  • To cook the pancakes, the butter/oil should be hot enough that the pancakes bubble slightly around the edges as soon as they are added, but not so hot that it burns the butter/oil or anything is splattery. This is the ideal heat to cook the pancakes properly without anything sticking.
  • It helps to wipe out the pan with a paper towel between cakes. This avoids a burnt taste developing over time.
  • Flip only after the entire pancake all the way to the center has bubbles that pop and leave a hole where they were.
Notes:
  • This recipe uses baking soda instead of powder, so the cakes are not super fluffy unfortunately. If you can find safe baking powder to use instead, that may be better.
  • The original recipe called for 3 tablespoons of melted butter in the batter, but I was already going to be using a lot in the pan to cook them, so I left this out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yum I love pancakes! I much prefer mine minus the pellet powder lol.

I am now really curious how many other people here use salt and sugar in their pancake batter, I don't but I do not add salt to anything.

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise

I am now really curious how many other people here use salt and sugar in their pancake batter, I don't but I do not add salt to anything.
Me too about the pellet powder. :lol:

Most of the recipes I saw when I was looking them up had a bit of salt and/or sugar in them. I'm sure they would be fine without.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:yes4: Pancakes for everyone!! :D I showed my partner your photos and he was quite impressed with the pancakes and presentation, and of course he loved Poppy :cloud9:

I don´t know... our pellets aren´t that bad... I would happily tuck in with my birds to save making two batches :shy:

I am now really curious how many other people here use salt and sugar in their pancake batter
I don´t, not in pancake or crepe batter.
It is a common thing in cakes, my mum told me why but can´t for the life of me remember, so I do put a pinch in brownies and cookies.