• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdy SOS: Quaker excessive screaming

herodes

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emily
Hello! I created this account because I am in desperate need of some bird advice! I got my quaker about 2 months ago and we've been best buddies ever since but recently he has adopted a bad habit of screaming excessively when I am away. This has led to multiple noise complaints which ultimately may result in me being kicked out if I don't fix the problem which would mean I'd have to re-home him. I really do not want to do this! I have contacted the breeder a lot asking for help and so far have been told to get him more toys, different toys, different snacks, and to ignore the screaming. I've done everything I possibly can think of. I've made and bought him toys of every type (foraging, bells, no bells, plastic, wood, food, foot toys) only for him to have no interest in them. I've persistently tried different methods of getting him interested such as playing with them myself to get him interested, rewarding him for interacting with them, and incorporating food into them but as soon as I am gone he has no motivation to play with them. I've tried playing him music or TV when I'm gone but he screams as he doesn't like music or TV. I also completely ignore the screaming or if it's excessive I leave the room until he stops for at least 10 whole seconds. I get him out for 2 hours a day to play with foot toys, interact with him, and give him lots of treats and I try to be home as much as possible. His cage is the recommended size with lots of perches, swings, and ladders for him to climb. The only solution I've found is to cover his cage with a blanket but I know it can't be fun for him to sit in the dark whenever I'm not around :( I find it cruel and hate to do that to him. The only thing I can think of is that he must just be very lonely when I have to leave. I really want to provide the best for him because I really love him a lot but if the screaming doesn't lessen I'll have no choice but to find him a new home! Any advice on how to stop this would be appreciated!! I have 2 weeks to fix the behavior or else I will have to start looking for a new home for him. :(

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi Emily: please take a look at the links provided in this recent thread, cockatiel getting me evicted- in dire need of help

Also, can you tell us more about the circumstances that led to your Quaker (whats his name?) screaming recently? Did something change in his home environment? In your schedule? Etc?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Quakers are little birds with a loud voice. Here is a great read on the subject

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
2 weeks is likely unrealistic. I had varying success with my Quaker, Jingo, over the 7 years I had him.

herodes

Real Name
Emily
Hi Emily: please take a look at the links provided in this recent thread, cockatiel getting me evicted- in dire need of help

Also, can you tell us more about the circumstances that led to your Quaker (whats his name?) screaming recently? Did something change in his home environment? In your schedule? Etc?
My little guy's name is Gany! :) I can't really think of anything that has changed, I'm a very routine person so he still receives the same amount of attention at the same times. I haven't moved anything in the room as I know that can sometimes scare parrots. The only thing that has changed a bit would be that I wake up a little later than usual at this point, I'm going to try waking up earlier again and see if maybe that would help out. Environmentally his cage set up is the same as when I got him, it just has more toys and treats. Maybe leaving the curtains closed will also help?

herodes

Real Name
Emily
2 weeks is likely unrealistic. I had varying success with my Quaker, Jingo, over the 7 years I had him.

Do you have any advice on how to get him interested in his foraging toys or just toys in general? I've gotten plenty but he seems a little reluctant to put in effort to get the food or gets too scared to go get it. I love the advice about selecting a specific treat only for foraging. He does love sunflower seeds so maybe I'll have to turn those into a "foraging only" toy. I know parrot's are supposed to be destructive so I've gotten him lots of paper, sponge, cardboard, and wood to destroy but he seems to have no interest in it unless I am destroying it with him, any advice on how to get him interested?? Also, I'm definitely going to try to get him doing some exercise like flying and moving around! He does love to follow me so maybe I'll try to get him to follow me and reward him for it or something.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have any advice on how to get him interested in his foraging toys or just toys in general? I've gotten plenty but he seems a little reluctant to put in effort to get the food or gets too scared to go get it. I love the advice about selecting a specific treat only for foraging. He does love sunflower seeds so maybe I'll have to turn those into a "foraging only" toy. I know parrot's are supposed to be destructive so I've gotten him lots of paper, sponge, cardboard, and wood to destroy but he seems to have no interest in it unless I am destroying it with him, any advice on how to get him interested?? Also, I'm definitely going to try to get him doing some exercise like flying and moving around! He does love to follow me so maybe I'll try to get him to follow me and reward him for it or something.
Start super easy. Don't worry about the plastic foraging toys you find at pet stores. Foraging can be as simple as dividing food between several bowls around the cage and play area. Maybe mix in shred paper or toy parts.

Jingo isn't big on shredding and playing either. He's very food oriented.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
You saw the only change is of you sleeping in ? I work 12 hour nighters, How I got my Flock to behave most of the time is, I put darkening curtains up, as I needed to get more then 4 hours of sleep in, previously they were only giving me this as the sun would get them waking up and screaming to come out.I keep them on a routine as much as possible, and it works for us, quite well, been doing this for 19 years now, . My flock may get up early, but they play quietly in their cages, till they hear me wake up,then all hell breaks out, untill I go in and see them and talk to them and take them out of their cages. All my birds like different kinds of toys, , they love the preening toys, the ones that they can take apart. 3 of my 7Quakers are weavers, they weave nests up in their cages, I suggest for you to try the many different types and textures of toys there is.Also when are you awake, leave a radio onfor him, They love music, when I go to work, the radio stays on, so they can enjoy the music.