• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds who read!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Just found out that Parrot Kindergarten, the online education trainer platform run by the researcher featured in this article is offering a free 4 day parrot tablet training next week! Tuesday through Friday, 4 to 5:15 pm EST and it’s free!

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Tikal can spell. ;) He knows what a "q-u-a-c-k", he picked that up as a work around for "quack", which is same as a "water", or "shower". Tikal knows that all of the following result in wet chicken. Maybe I'll have to get the notepad and pencils out and see if it transfers to the act of writing or specific letters. He wasn't able to be cyber schooled though; the internet was young then. :roflmao:

Jay

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think Irene pepperburg was teaching Alex to read or at least recognize letters.

i will have to look this up.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
I think Irene pepperburg was teaching Alex to read or at least recognize letters.

i will have to look this up.
She was I think; part of the studies that she did to inform the rest of the population of what we all know, "Birds Are Smart". I read her book and the line that hit me the hardest was what he said the night to her before he passed, "Wanna go tree?!". Apparently in the building there was one window which had a really good view of a tree; which he got to see on occasion.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Didn't mean to be a downer on the above post; it's just what I remember most vividly about the book.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Thank you for the intro to this fascinating researcher Dr. Pepperberg. I found this video about her and Alex and it was great!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I had a parrot who talked almost this much. She passed three years ago and I still miss her so much. She even had her own sayings that were so sweet and funny.
Willow is a good boy but he doesn’t tell me what he wants and thinks and likes all the time.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
I had a parrot who talked almost this much. She passed three years ago and I still miss her so much. She even had her own sayings that were so sweet and funny.
Willow is a good boy but he doesn’t tell me what he wants and thinks and likes all the time.
I'm sorry for your loss. I had a green cheek conure who despite all odds spoke clearly and knew many phrases in context. It's hard; she passed yesterday three years ago.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I'm sorry for your loss. I had a green cheek conure who despite all odds spoke clearly and knew many phrases in context. It's hard; she passed yesterday three years ago.
I’m so sorry. I lost my best friend and little green Buddha.