• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds Weight - change in pellet's - colder weather ?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo for a long period of time weighed a consistant 84 grams recently her weight increased to 85 grams held at this weight peaked at 86 for a couple of weeks before dropping back to 85 when i wieighed her this evening she has gone back down to 84 grams ( she is a pineapple conure ) i am not concerned about her health she is her usual active self probably more active now since she has KiKi out and about with her when she is out.
Up until recently she was eating harrisons hight potency pellets and then one day just decided she no longer cared for them she had been eating roudybush maintenance crumble alongside the harrisons so i just increased the amount of roudybush crumble and have now started feeding her roudybush maintenance pellets and roudybush california maintenance blend pellets ( this also contains some dried fruit and veg ) , she also gets a few nutriberries a day. She never used to clear her bowls of the harrisons but does pretty much clear them of roudybush.
She has always done a fair bit of foraging and i have increased the amount of foraging activity in her cage i have been using pellets for her foraging recently instead of seed as i initially found seed the easiest thing to encourage foraging this is no longer the case she will happily forage for her pellets now.
Also the temp has dropped here and it has been pretty cold lately i didnt increase the mount of pellets i was giving her when i changed over and on reflection i think i should have done i would also assume that my parrots will eat more as the temp drops to aid in keeping warm.
KiKi is holding her weight at 65 grams she wouldnt eat the harrisons so has been on the roudybush since she transitioned so has had no change in her diet she is also less active than Mojo and when Mojo is interacting with either me or my wife KiKI just happily stand on top of her cage and looks on.
They both also get chop twice daily and are both still eating the same amount they always have they both have pellets available all the time ( with the exception of when there chop is in there cage )

I will of course keep my eye on Mojos weight and if it drops any further i will get her checked out i am going to increase the amount off pellets offered in her food ( as there has been occasions when she has cleared the bowl on reflection i should have increased her food when i saw this )

I just wanted to ask the question to get a bit of a sense check on my thoughts ?

thanks in advance Col

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For 2 grams difference either way I would say that wouldn't even register as a change for me unless it was a very small. 5% difference I notice and 10% I am calling the vet.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Shawna,I worry about Tobias's weight all the time. He was 62 when I got him over a month ago and for awhile it was going up and down sometimes 2 grams once 4 grams in one day but he was eating well and everything else was normal. I did consult with my vet and she said the same that at 10% weight loss is when its time to get concerned.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Mojo has always had a pretty stable weight i wasnt massively concerned just thought it was down to the change in pellet and the drop in temp thinking the little chunk needed more food

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's hard to know for sure :) I think you are right to increase food and see how it goes. But 2 grams can be the difference of a poop sometimes :lol:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the replies have been overthinking no doubt but would rather give to much food than not enough so have increased for both of them