• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds tricks chop anyone?

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Has anyone fed their birds the natural feeding system by BirdTricks?
It’s a recipe for a chop that makes enough for 4 months, they say about a gallon1/2 -2 gallons. You freeze if in small batches for 2-3 days at a time defrosting it . They recommend giving it for breakfast meal. Each season 3 = 4 months a new chop recipe is made. I will only have one
Bird a Rose Breasted Cockatoo. I’m not sure if that’s too much to make?
I think my bird will eat I my 1-2 tbs at a time a day for its breakfast?
If you used this do you like it and her other recipes? Do you think I should make 1/2 a batch since it’s only 1 bird for 4 months and only breakfast?
Do most birds like red peppers? I was thinking of growing some.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My crew loves peppers! I do small batches of muffins and chop each week. Because my ekkies eat so much fresh fruit, I find changing the recipes each week works better around here. If I serve Newt and Angel the same chop over and over, they tire of it and then head over to Sergei's cage to see what he's chowing down on! They are served fruit too, but not in the quantity the ekkies eat!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, I'm not a big fan of Bird Tricks - and their cost is pretty high for the program. So you might try some other methods first. Do you have this book? it is full of great nutrition information.

Also there's a FB group.... ah heck I can't log in right now.... hunt for the THRIVE parrot program, that should get you close to the free group.

As far as making that much food at once. JMO, I wouldn't. You might want to change it up a little or your bird might not like it.

I actually have been making mine daily for quite some time instead of freezing. I don't know why! Just got started that way and didn't stop.

My caiques *LOVE* peppers. My pionus can take 'em or leave 'em.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
The program was really expensive, but I bought it’s anyway. Now I have the cookbooks and trying to figure out how much to make and if anyone else here was using it and how much to feed a bird like a rose Breasted Cockatoo and if they liked the recipes. I’ll certainly check out the recipes and sites other members recommend. Thank you

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I chop fresh daily too. Only have a few ingredients

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I make fresh daily also. My birds get bored if they get too much of the same. I even need to cut the carrots into different shapes to keep my Plumhead excited about it.

My birds only eat a few things from frozen. So making a lot ahead of time doesn't work for me.

I think your should start small. 1 week at a time might be a good tester.

Will just add, mine love all chillies! From dried flakes to fresh habenero. :)

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I’m going to buy some pepper plants to grow today. Any recommendations? Do birds like fresh basil, oregano or Tyme leaves ? I grow all those besides strawberries, blueberries and tomatoes.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m going to buy some pepper plants to grow today. Any recommendations? Do birds like fresh basil, oregano or Tyme leaves ? I grow all those besides strawberries, blueberries and tomatoes.
Oh lucky birdies! I know they love basil. I haven’t tried the others.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
My birds love red peppers. Not familiar with the Bird Tricks recipes, but I wouldn't make that much unless I tried a smaller batch first. I've had to start mixing my thawed chop into birdie bread to get them to eat it. Every day they get birdie bread and a few fresh vegetables for variety for their morning meal.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
The chop recipes are very involved and I think that’s why they make such big portions. F447B347-6851-4EE7-B41E-8346EF6387C6.jpeg

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It can be diverse in smaller portions also. This was Neptune meal. Sprouted legumes are made ahead of time. I also cook the grain ahead of time. The rest to chopped fresh or from frozen (peas and corn). Chia, linseed, raw buck wheat and crushed hemp seed are also added. This works for my birds. Each bird get a plate in the morning. The total prep time is about 15 min.

IMG_6309.JPG

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would go crazy having to follow recipes like that lol. Go for seasonal stuff when applicable... Better nutritionally and cost wise!

I do freeze for one bird and 2 rats:
My Chop "Recipe"

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have their feeding system books and found them interesting.

I do not follow any of their specific recipes but I do use the book as guide along with the information I have found from posts here.

Rather than mix the whole lot I have started filling individual snap sandwich bags full of different vegetables. I have one bag full of mashed pumpkin, one full of chopped cauliflower, one with grated raw carrot, one with diced cooked carrot etc. Actually I have half a freezer full of veggies, beans, legumes etc and a few fruits done in different ways in snap bags.....the family calls it Burt’s freezer. Lol.
I give Burt a variety as I find he starts to try and pick out only certain foods if he gets the same thing daily for more than three days.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Those are all good advices for me. The idea of freezing it separately is a good idea especially initially to figure out what my bird likes. The link was great on the chop recipe too. Love all the great advice and links ! Thank you!

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I follow Birdtricks videos as I think they have great advice, but I haven’t got their cook book.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I like the cookbooks. If you want it more economically they have a digital version for much less.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can try some quinoa, too. My Bare-eyed too loves the "stuff". None of my other birds will eat it.

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
I have their feeding system books and found them interesting.

I do not follow any of their specific recipes but I do use the book as guide along with the information I have found from posts here.

Rather than mix the whole lot I have started filling individual snap sandwich bags full of different vegetables. I have one bag full of mashed pumpkin, one full of chopped cauliflower, one with grated raw carrot, one with diced cooked carrot etc. Actually I have half a freezer full of veggies, beans, legumes etc and a few fruits done in different ways in snap bags.....the family calls it Burt’s freezer. Lol.
I give Burt a variety as I find he starts to try and pick out only certain foods if he gets the same thing daily for more than three days.
Oh I like this idea a lot!!! Mine actually tend to prefer a lot of things frozen (broccoli and cauliflower especially!), but with a big job change coming up next week I knew I needed to be able to have more food ready easily without as much prep time (I'd rather spend the extra time with the birds since things are going to be tight time wise for a few weeks :() This sounds like it would work well!

As for peppers...mine love bell peppers, still working on offering them a variety of others. I find sometimes it takes me awhile of offering things different ways before I find one that clicks and they're willing to give it a go.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I have a "base" chop I make to last 6/7 weeks and add other things to it. All fruit is fresh daily and not mixed His base is something like this, dandelion greens, rainbow chard, kale, radish greens, radishes, carrots, brown rice, quinoa, yams mixed with turmeric and cinnamon. Add to that peas, corn etc.maybe some grated ginger. He has 3 fruits along with that at breakfast, 3 other types of fruit at dinner. An almond and green apple at lunch. My smaller birds eat this at breakfast and have their pellets and seed throughout the day but do get more fruit in the evening. My birds are super spoiled. I'm constantly reminded by my daughter that I need to eat like my birds.