• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds toes curl inward

Linaa

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
While standing on a flat surface my Soju’s toes curl inward. I just got him last week & his little leg broke the day I got him, which is another thing, when I hold him he flaps violently. I’ve had 2 other birds and they’ve never done this?
He’s good now and has a splint and went to the vet, I feel so bad as he fell and his wings are clipped. The place I got him from clipped them all so he splats onto the floor instead of glides. :( so he flapped right out of my hand and hit a box and broke his leg. He wasn’t able to balance before this happened so I sort of think it was already broken. As the place let’s anyone handle the birds. Even come in just to handle birds for fun.
Anyways! His toes curl inwards as well. The vet said he was likely born this way, but I think it may of been because the place I got him said he’d never been on a perch before. He was in a tubberware thing with his siblings & his nails seem long to me. He can perch just fine with that foot and grasp well, but on flat surfaces he sits like this.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The vet said he was likely born this way,
said he’d never been on a perch before. He was in a tubberware thing with his siblings
Those are both plausable reasons why his toes are like this.
@Hankmacaw @Monica @enigma731

when I hold him he flaps violently.
Sounds like he didn´t have much human interaction in his younger life. Try to back off a little and go slow to build trust. Start by small stuff, spending time near him, talking to him. Allow him to come to you and explore your shoulder, head etc. Feed treats to your bird without picking him up either when he is closeby or when he is caged. Be patient, he sounds like he´s had quite the bumpy ride.

he splats onto the floor instead of glides. :(
Try your best to limit access to higher places where he can potentially fall. Line areas under his station (play stands, near cage, anywhere he may get to) with towels and blankets to try soften any falls. Ramps and ladders will be helpful to create access and exit to and from his cage. Even XL cotton perches to connect to other places could work.

Welcome to the Avenue Lina :)

Linaa

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
Those are both plausable reasons why his toes are like this.
@Hankmacaw @Monica @enigma731

Sounds like he didn´t have much human interaction in his younger life. Try to back off a little and go slow to build trust. Start by small stuff, spending time near him, talking to him. Allow him to come to you and explore your shoulder, head etc. Feed treats to your bird without picking him up either when he is closeby or when he is caged. Be patient, he sounds like he´s had quite the bumpy ride.
Fortunately I know he’s not nervous around me, it’s only when I have him picked up, like he can’t balance. I know 100% he’s comfy with us because he eats then cries to come sit on us flaps toward us so we have to pick him up so he won’t fall again, and sleeps, then repeat haha.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fortunately I know he’s not nervous around me, it’s only when I have him picked up, like he can’t balance.
Ah ok. In that case, maybe you are right and he actually can´t balance properly?
Also, if this is a quick flapping when you first pick him up it could be him stretching his wings warming up, my birds do this right before coming out of their cages usually.

Linaa

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
Ah ok. In that case, maybe you are right and he actually can´t balance properly?
Also, if this is a quick flapping when you first pick him up it could be him stretching his wings warming up, my birds do this right before coming out of their cages usually.
That may be it! I’ve never seen my parakeets do this as they don’t like being held near as much. Thank you for the suggestion on the perch as well. The vet said he may never be able to perch again, but I know that’s not true as he can perch perfectly fine with his weird curled foot. I’m afraid my vet is a bit outdated in his way of thinking with different things. He’s got a paper with diet for birds and put cockatiels need grit and iirc that can impact their digestive system, right? But I only have 1 other avian vet around who has awful reviews.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The vet said he may never be able to perch again, but I know that’s not true as he can perch perfectly fine with his weird curled foot. I’m afraid my vet is a bit outdated in his way of thinking with different things.
If you go back to the vet for a revision/to take the splint off, maybe you could take a Y perch or other small stick with you and show him that your bird can perch?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I doubt it's from not perching. Most likely that's nerve damage. Can he grip with it at all?

Linaa

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
I doubt it's from not perching. Most likely that's nerve damage. Can he grip with it at all?
I was wondering about his toe nail length? Do you think I should ask them to be trimmed? I’m at the vet now.

Linaa

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
I was wondering about his toe nail length? Do you think I should ask them to be trimmed? I’m at the vet now.
Sorry I just saw you asked, yes he can grip very firmly with that foot. Just not the other since it had been fractured. I was thinking it was from his nails being quite long. But the vet didn’t comment on it last time. I’m just a bit worried about my vet not being very up to date, but my husband is just making fun of me about it. Just the disregard to what it was like where we’d got him + the suggestion to eating grit has me a bit put off along with him saying he’d never be able to perch again. Maybe it’s just me, though.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
His nails are much too long. They should be cut a little shorter than normal until his toes have an opportunity to straighten up. It may take some time, but I think it will happen. You may be able to help the straightening along by rubbing his toes and feet - sort of physical therapy.

I recommend that you allow him to flap while holding him. The exercise will do wonders for him and when his flight feathers grow out he will be more ready to fly.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a good sign that he can grip. It still concerns me that it's a very abnormal position, even given the balance issues and the other leg being splinted. It reminds me of my bird who was quadriplegic after a head/spine injury. But it's really hard to say without more history/context/ability to observe. Certainly trimming the nails is a good start.

Linaa

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
It's a good sign that he can grip. It still concerns me that it's a very abnormal position, even given the balance issues and the other leg being splinted. It reminds me of my bird who was quadriplegic after a head/spine injury. But it's really hard to say without more history/context/ability to observe. Certainly trimming the nails is a good start.
Thank you :) I asked the vet to trim his nails and they are. He’s back and they’re checking his splint and in mid February should get it off. I wonder now, just thinking. He’s only 2 months old, I wonder if he just never was taught to fly and got his wings clipped, so when I take him from my bed to his cage, he flaps like he’s flying all the way there hahaha. It’s the cutest thing, but maybe he’s simulating flying since he’s never done it?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Like I said - let him flap as much as he will. The exercise will serve him well the rest of his longer life.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little thing. This happens to puppies raised on wire too. Their toes splay out. I was also going to suggest foot massages. It'll help with blood flow & stimulate the nerves. A couple times a day if you can. Go slow until he lets you do it freely. My birds all get foot massages & they love it. Gently rub his toes & feet between your thumb & index/middle finger. If his feet become dry/flaky you can use a tiny bit of aloe gel when rubbing them.

Sadly many breedes do not fledge the chicks before clipping them. The flapping will strengthen his wing muscles, so when his flight feathers molt out & grow back in he'll be strong enough to fly.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He may also be flapping to balance.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I can't say the abnormal foot stance is due to being in a tub and not on a perch.... nor can I say it's due to having nails too long.

Any chance you can get a pick of his (her?) feet while perching on something round? Just to compare flat surface vs rounded surface.