• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds not Bonding?

Birb Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Itzel Rico
I have two budgies, one named Sky and one named Cloud. I also have a cockatiel named Max. All males. Ever since I got Max, the dynamic between sky and cloud has slowly changed. Cloud has gotten closer to Max and they are now an inseparable pair. anywhere that Max goes, Cloud follows. The only problem is that since cloud has gotten close to Max, he has kind of abandoned Sky. Sky has always been a more shy bird and not as adventurous as cloud or Max. but now while the others play, he is left behind and/or he is scared off by them and gets hissed at constantly. Cloud has also been feeding Max as if he were a baby bird. I don’t know what that’s about either. many sources say different things so I am not sure. The problem is that sky is being left out and he is lonely a lot more and doesn’t play with them as much anymore. he is also the one bird that waits for the others to eat and drink before he does. it’s a sad sight to see.
I have thought about adopting another budgie into the flock to see if sky could maybe make another friend. and it is still an option for me but of course it would be a lot more work. and even that is not a guarantee that sky would cease to be lonely.
if anyone has any ideas or advice of how to get the three of them to bond more or get closer, I would love it.

Birb Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Itzel Rico
and by the way, Sky is not at all a sad or an unactive bird at all. sure, he’s more calm and timid but he loves to play, sing, and jump around. he just doesn’t get on with the others very much.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
:bump4:

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Hi! I had the same thing happen with my lovebirds... Ginger and Mango were a pair, and Josephine and Oliver were a pair. But when I moved them all to my outdoor aviary, Oliver bonded with Mango (he fed her just like max and cloud), and since Ginger was too shy to make a new friend, she and Josephine were just lonely. Ginger has a flight problem, and since they live outside, I needed another bird to snuggle with her at night. So I separated the birds, and put them back in their old pairings. This was the only way I could make them all happy again, because they bounced right back and reverted to their old pairings. If I were you, I would either move max to another room, or get sky a new friend. It’s really hard for three birds to bond all together, unless they were raised together. If sky is really so shy, and max and cloud are feeding each other, it will be nearly impossible to get them all to bond like together. I would get sky a separate cage, with his own food and water dishes, and then get him a new friend. Or, maybe try to make him your special pet (if getting another bird is too hard) and spend a LOT of time with him. I really hope this works out for you!!