• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds love their cage... a bit too much?

KASHISH

Moving in
Hello,
I recently got my birds a new and much bigger cage than before. They are very content in the cage and happily flap their wings and chirp happily all day long. They play with their toys and sit on their swing and are very excited to go to sleep and love it when I wrap a blanket around their cage, they chirp happily when I do it so I assume they love it (its winter here and I want to keep them warm).
Anyways, earlier they were in a much smaller cage and fought all the time, now that has all stopped too.

Everything sounds good right? but earlier my birds used to be excited to come out jump on my shoulder, climb my bed and roam around their entire house and would hate going in the cage and would make sure I knew by yelling every time I put them in. Now they never want to come out. They don't want to sit on my shoulder and every time they step up on my shoulder they fly back to their cage.

Maybe they don't want to be handled I thought. Im fine with that. I still thought they might like to come out of the cage and fly/walk/inspect/play outside the cage so I left their cage door open all day long. They don't want to come out. They know that the door is opened as I kept giving them treats at the door and they know how to come out of the cage when they want to (one bird came out once). They no longer want to interact with anyone.
They aren't sick and I haven't changed their diet or done anything to loose their trust. All I've done is transfer them to the new cage.

Is there something wrong or is my imagination just running wild?

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
How long ago did they get moved into the new cage?

Stars

Strolling the yard
the chirping when you cover them is a flock call to let everyone know its bedtime.
everything else i dont know about. if you leave the cage door open and they choose to stay in there i think its fine.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do they have toys to play with outside there cage ?

KASHISH

Moving in
Do they have toys to play with outside there cage ?
Yes I have kept toy balls which they love and string as well
I even allowed access to my bed which they love to be on but they don’t want to come out

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'd suggest adding perches just inside and outside the door, just to give them a sort of vestibule area and encourage them to come out in phases. There's a chance that they find the new doorway a bit intimidating, being unfamiliar, and the perches will help with that.

Other than that, it sounds like they're just enjoying the new space, and there's probably a novelty factor involved. (I know when I was a kid, if I rearranged my stuff or got a new piece of furniture or something, I'd spend extra time in my room over the next few weeks, just enjoying the new cool setup). As long as they're happy, I'd just roll with it.

Keep leaving the door open. They'll come out eventually.