• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent BIRDS LOOK HORRIBLE

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Was there a reason the door was unlocked? Either a critter or a human got in that open door with the intent of doing harm. Please always lock doors and windows.

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Was there a reason the door was unlocked? Either a critter or a human got in that open door with the intent of doing harm. Please always lock doors and windows.
The door wasn’t open the front door was closed, not locked. All of our windows are locked and my bedroom door was closed

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Because we have more experience then she does with birds. I myself 30+ years of experience. They need a vet they've needed a vet since you got home discovered their condition. I realize that you are minor but its imperative that they get to avian veterinarian NOW.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I mean, I've had birds for 25 years, I work with a rescue, and I have a doctorate in health services. But I don't really have a way to prove that, so...I'd hope she might realize we all have birds' best interest in mind.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My parents left the door unlocked, no signs of a break in, nothing was stolen. The snails can be replaced easily but not my birds, I hand fed my boy until he was weaned.. there isn’t anything dripping or any holes leading to my room besides the door, which has a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom. Nothing seems different than usual except the snails and the birds. My lizard is doing 100% a-okay. The cats are fine so are the dogs. Unfortunately I’m a minor and I don’t have a license, let alone a permit to drive. It’s up to my parents to bring me and my mom said it’s not important enough to bring them, and that they will be fine. (Apparently she’s a bird expert since she had 1 bird when she was a child who died within two months of having it). She said to get warm water then dip a q-tip in it and wipe their eyes, I said it’s vomit and she rolled her eyes. I don’t know what to do at this point. I NEED to bring them and nobody is listening to me

I did my mom said “why would you trust people online”

If she would bother to read a little on this forum, she’d understand why you should trust us. And why she should. Look - I’m probably a lot older than your mom, I get why she thinks this is shady. But we are seriously trying to help you and your bird. We don’t want your birds to die! We love ours too (I have 3 cockatiels myself) and we know what it’s like to lose one. Please read this to her or have her read it. They need veterinary care.

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
My dad said if my mom won’t take me he will take me if her condition gets worse, I went ahead and put her in the carrier and she’s just sitting there with her eyes shut calling out for him

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok she is in bad shape now how much worse does she have to get? She needs veterinarian care now PLEASE......

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Ok she is in bad shape now how much worse does she have to get? She needs veterinarian care now PLEASE......
I’m trying my best, okay? I really am. She doesn’t like people hardly at all, I think handling her is making it worse so I put her in the carrier, she’s on the perch and I’ll show my dad some more pictures of her and I’m sure he will bring me. I just HOPE the veterinarian takes payment plans if not I don’t know what else I can do

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
We know you're doing all you can. It's very hard being young and at the mercy of parents who just don't understand.

Praying for your babies.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
This is a minor that has to go by what their parents will let them do. Berating the op for it is not helping the situation. Please offer helpful advice or risk losing your privileges to post in this area

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Advice: get a heating pad set on low under the half the carrier. A syringe and some pedilyte and drop by drop offer some fluids in her beak. Offer fluids every 15 minutes.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:cry3: Just frustrating that a minor & their pet has to suffer because of a parents unwillingness or ignorance to provide medical care. Seems someone got in the house & sprayed something on the birds...Was any cleaning chemicals out of place//Bathroom toilet etc. In absence of qualified medical care perhaps spraying some clean water on them might wash some of it off... Its only a guess but something radical happened while you were away & if the door was unlocked its very possible someone came in & did not have the best intentions///Glad one seems better...

You can do only all you can do so I am sorry...

Last edited:

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
My dad is calling the vet to see how much it would cost to have her seen for an evaluation, bad thing is, reviews say they over charge everything and that somebody paid $1500 for antibiotics, fluids, evaluation, and an X-ray, and I don’t have $1500 at the moment

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My dad is calling the vet to see how much it would cost to have her seen for an evaluation, bad thing is, reviews say they over charge everything and that somebody paid $1500 for antibiotics, fluids, evaluation, and an X-ray, and I don’t have $1500do teh at the moment
Its late Sunday...Do the best you can. How is she???? Do you see any cleaners out of place? anything in the house???? Its obvious something happened while you were away...Would help to know...Your Dad is a good man...have him help you search the house to try to find something out of place to try to figure out what caused it...

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would spritz them both to get whatever it is off them and try to dry, spritz again, fresh air, even a fan with both birds safely in a cage, she looks bad, can you try to rinse the eyes with saline solution? What the #<[[ happened? You may never know but I for sure would NEVER leave my doors unlocked, and where are the snails? This is sad, and odd,, I hope they will be ok,,you probably dont need an Xray, but an evaluation is needed..prayers..Thank Dad for us..

Last edited:

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
She seems to be doing a lot better now, I had her in the carrier and spritzed her down with water from the sprayer, let her dry around four times and her feathers seem a lot better. She’s actually keeping her eyes open now, and eating. She’s even beak grinding now too, and drinking water. Her urates were a bit yellow but she started drinking water when I put her back and they seem to be normal now. I’m still bringing them both soon as the vet opens just to make sure they’re okay 100%