• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent BIRDS LOOK HORRIBLE

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I stayed at a hotel with my family last night, left at 8. I came back thirty minutes ago and they looked wet, but they were completely dry, both of them. I smelt my boy and he didn’t smell of anything and I KNOW birds don’t sweat. His left eye looks possibly infected and he’s barely opening it, and she’s barely opening both of her eyes. He’s acting weak, and he’s missing half of his tail feathers but they are NOWHERE to be found. She looked like she’s missing feathers too from her tail and her breast but they aren’t anywhere to be found either. I looked at the bottom, around the cage even on their perch (next to the cage) and they weren’t anywhere. Nobody was home and the door to the room was closed so there weren’t cats or dogs in there. They had their food bowl filled and their water as well. If it was water they would already be dry or at least feel wet. I don’t know what to do, I don’t have the money to bring them to the emergency vet and to do testing, and on TOP of that no vets are open today and the ones that are don’t see birds. I don’t know what to do I’m freaking out

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Could a rodent get in, like a rat? You need to go to the vet. If some sort of critter got to them, they will most likely die without antibiotics ASAP. You can try to find an avian vet that takes Care Credit to help you pay. It seems urgent enough that you need to find a way to bring them to a vet that sees birds, even if you have to borrow the money. I hope they will be okay!

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks like vomit all over them, which means it would have been very very severe vomiting. I'd consider toxin exposures. But they really need to get to a vet immediately or they'll die. I'm sorry to say there really are no alternatives.

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I’ve called every vet in my area all the way to 2 hours away, and they are either closed, or their exotics vet isn’t there until the next day

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How long were they alone at home? Was anyone in the house with them? Other than the loss of feathers and the physical damage, I would also say toxins, but the feather loss and wounded eyes make me suspicious that someone may have messed with them.

I certainly hope you can get them to a vet, but just in case it was a toxin in the house, get them outside into fresh air.

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
How long were they alone at home? Was anyone in the house with them? Other than the loss of feathers and the physical damage, I would also say toxins, but the feather loss and wounded eyes make me suspicious that someone may have messed with them.

I certainly hope you can get them to a vet, but just in case it was a toxin in the house, get them outside into fresh air.
Nobody has been home, at all. My brothers and both my parents were with me the entire time, and nobody left. They were home alone for 15 hours give or take some minutes. I had two pet snails and they are missing too! I don’t know what happened but I’m going to try and do a walk in at Neel Veterinary Hospital in okc hopefully they accept my babies

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How long were they alone at home? Was anyone in the house with them? Other than the loss of feathers and the physical damage, I would also say toxins, but the feather loss and wounded eyes make me suspicious that someone may have messed
I've seen that happen to the eyes in birds that vomit so severely they get it in their eyes/hurt themselves with head shaking.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds like someone tried to steal the birds and probably got bitten and gave up. 15 hours isn't that long - not a bad on you.

I'm sorry about your snails and hope your birds will be ok and that you find out who did it. Who else has keys to your house? No sign of a breakin?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Nothing dripping from the ceiling? I would say there's a critter in your basement or attic -- a snake, rat, or something.

Even if a vet was 2 hours away, I'd be in the car driving! This is very serious.

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
My parents left the door unlocked, no signs of a break in, nothing was stolen. The snails can be replaced easily but not my birds, I hand fed my boy until he was weaned.. there isn’t anything dripping or any holes leading to my room besides the door, which has a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom. Nothing seems different than usual except the snails and the birds. My lizard is doing 100% a-okay. The cats are fine so are the dogs. Unfortunately I’m a minor and I don’t have a license, let alone a permit to drive. It’s up to my parents to bring me and my mom said it’s not important enough to bring them, and that they will be fine. (Apparently she’s a bird expert since she had 1 bird when she was a child who died within two months of having it). She said to get warm water then dip a q-tip in it and wipe their eyes, I said it’s vomit and she rolled her eyes. I don’t know what to do at this point. I NEED to bring them and nobody is listening to me

Last edited by a moderator:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
They almost look oily. Could anything have been sprayed on them? If someone came in to do mischief, this could have happened.
Look around for any bottles of stuff that could have been used.
With the snails gone, tails damaged, and feathers in that state, an intruder is my first thought.
I can't see how a mouse/snake would have messed up the feathers of both birds like that and they still be alive.

In case they were sprayed, bathing them in lukewarm water (if you can't get to a vet) might be a good idea.
The eyes could be irritated from a spray also.
Any substance on them could easily be toxic.
Drying them thoroughly afterwards.

This is just a thought, if others here think it a bad idea, listen to them.

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I just got back home from scouring the area for a vet, and they seem to be doing a LOT better than they were. My boy pixel JUST started to fly two months ago and now he can’t anymore, she can’t fly at all she just drops like a stone

Okay she’s not doing so good now but he’s acting normal , he’s preening and jumping around and trying to fly. She on the other hand is sitting there with her eyes closed and trying to preen herself. She is grinding her beak against the perch she’s on, and I just used my spray bottle to spray them both down earlier and they still dried weird so I’m going to be doing it again after they dry

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Please do try to convince your parents to help you seek veterinary care now that some time has passed and their condition has not improved ❤

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Please do try to convince your parents to help you seek veterinary care now that some time has passed and their condition has not improved ❤
I have been since I last posted. They won’t bring me, pixel (my male) is preening himself trying to get preens out of me, and trying to get preens out of her. She’s not doing good, I think he’s completely fine but her I’m not so sure of. She has fluffed cheeks, and she’s not shaking anymore, as well as preening but she’s the only one worrying me so far, I can keep trying but I’m probably going to get grounded

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you show them this thread?

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Sorry he’s in the middle of a preen and wouldn’t stay still, he’s been preening a lot trying to get whatever it is off his feathers, he’s doing good so far. She’s sitting there and will preen occasionally

Attachments