• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds in apartments

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
I will eventually have to move into an apartment (not in the near future, but I’ve still been thinking about it) and I was wondering about ways to make it easier with birds? I personally don’t mind the noise but I’m afraid that neighbors would. My quaker usually isn’t to loud but 1-3 times a day, usually in the morning, sometimes evening, he has a screaming fit. If anybody has experience in soundproofing or something, I would love to hear what you did! I really don’t even need to think about it right now, but it’s just been one of those things I think about at night lol!

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
I've been living in an apartment with parrots for 20 years now and have never had any problems. My old YCA George was the loudest of the three and no one ever complained. At one time there was a DYHA living on another floor in my building and he was extremely noisy. Nobody at the apartment complex ever complained about him either, but someone living in a house two blocks away did call the manager to complain. :eek: I've never done anything to attempt to soundproof the apartment and there wouldn't be much that I would be allowed to do. I know of someone who had a large macaw in an apartment and they hung blankets and tapestries on the walls to absorb some of the sound. I don't know how well that worked.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’ve lived in apartments with parrots for 25 yrs and also never had a problem.

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
No issues here with a conure(s). Apartments up until this year (20 years). When I had two there was more noise as they vocalized together. I found white noise to help keep them calm when I was away during the day.

Jay

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Also be upfront with your apartment manager and neighbors. I always let my neighbors to let me know if there was any issues. Honesty my last two neighbors (above and below me) were just thankful I didn't have a baby. :roflmao:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think that much depends on the apartment design & what’s in the walls. There are closets & washrooms on both sides & pipes in between along the wall my budgies live by. It’s also a top floor, corner unit which equals fewer neighbours.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Make friends with your direct neighbours!
I would take a bottle of wine and a card round at christmas. I grew a plant from clippings from my plant and gifted it to them. Would always say hello with a smile when crossing in the building. The only complaint they had was that they weren't happy I was feeding the doves.
If you get along well with your neighbours, they're more likely to come to you first with any problems over making complaints to the community.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Yes. Always let your neighbors know that you have a bird and if he’s noisy and bothering them you want to know so you can fix it.
Occasional screaming is ok. Constant screaming is a behavior problem, a neglected miserable bird, or maybe a species that doesn’t belong in an apartment.

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I have birds in my apartment with me. They live in a separate room instead of in the living room area or anywhere like that. The room they are in is the farthest corner of the apartment, and is at the corner of the building, so there are no neighbors on the other side of the wall. I do, however, have roommates that share a wall with the birds. The noisiest is my tiel Pepper who calls for me when I am out of the room. You can hear him all through the apartment, but thankfully my roommates have not been harsh about it and seem to not mind too much.

I’m currently in an in-between situation while they do renovations on the apartment, but when I move back in, I will have all new roommates because my current roommates are moving to a new city. I have not met them yet but honestly it is a big fear of mine that they will request I either get rid of the birds or move out. I have heard of many bird owner’s roommates making this kind of ultimatum.(of course I would never get rid of them)
All in all, it really depends on species, individual bird personality, and roommate’s/neighbor’s tolerance.

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I found white noise to help keep them calm when I was away during the day.
I second white noise. Pepper is much quieter when I leave the ceiling fan on during the day while I was gone. I think it’s soothing for him and it stops him from hearing small sounds and freaking out.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
My birds have enjoyed music. Anything except Rammstein. My old Quaker used to sing, kazoo-like, along with anything vocal or choral. It was very cute.

I, too,live in a corner apartment and somehow all the bird people have been clustered on this corner of the building. So if a screech is overheard, it is not a big deal.

Last edited:

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
I have always told new neighbors on my floor that I have parrots, as well as people living directly under us. Really, in our building there are dogs, children and a few adults who make more noise than any of my parrots ever have.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Yes. Whenever someone complained that my Quaker had made a peep in a public place, I pointed out how much quieter and cleaner she was than a baby. Particularly theirs.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes. Whenever someone complained that my Quaker had made a peep in a public place, I pointed out how much quieter and cleaner she was than a baby. Particularly theirs.
While I don't dispute that some people are noisier and messier than our birds, particularly children, I think we should be mindful of our wording as to not let things escalate. Things can get ugly quickly, especially if someone thinks you are saying something bad about their children. I think a different approach may be better when the end goal is keeping the peace.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Apartment politics will be different for everyone, but it is defiantly doable to keep birds. I kept a cockatoo in my apartment and she was out on her play stand most of the day- and as any cockatoo she would jump around, make a bunch of noise, and happily scream. We never had any issues. When we asked our neighbour about it once... they said something along the lines of "Oh we thought you had a baby. This makes a lot more sense now."

One thing you may consider telling your neighbours, to maintain the peace, is to point out that they are usually only noisy during day light hours, and will sleep through the night.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
While I don't dispute that some people are noisier and messier than our birds, particularly children, I think we should be mindful of our wording as to not let things escalate. Things can get ugly quickly, especially if someone thinks you are saying something bad about their children. I think a different approach may be better when the end goal is keeping the peace.
I agree, but people have also deliberately heckled me for having my bird with me truly just to make trouble. We weren’t hurting anyone and they thought they were funny. I’m guessing that wouldn’t happen now that I don’t look so young but it is irritating to have some person harass you just for not being them with a car and a baby and etc.

if your kid is running around being loud you shouldn’t harass someone for having a bird who chirped once. Naughty kids are surely more disruptive than a young woman with a small parrot in a carrier. It is just bullying imo.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sounds very much like bullying. My downstairs neighbour used to complain that she was jolted from naps at 11:00 a.m. on Saturdays by sweeping noises.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
The people who live in the apartment under mine like to stay up until past 2 AM, and they're not quiet. Loud TV and they seem incapable of closing doors without slamming them. That includes their 5 year old son, who then has to get up by 7 AM to go to school. I feel sorry for the poor kid, but those people are more annoying than a few parrot squawks. I also had a neighbor (thankfully now a former neighbor) who practiced his drums from 6 until 11 every night. I think it would be reasonable to observe that he was noisier than my parrots. :D

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
First, always make sure your management approves of your pets and the number of pets you have.

I recommend picking a corner unit so you only have one neighbor. I'd try to pick a unit on the top floor, since noise travels up more than it does downward.

I had two parrots in an apartment at one point, and my new upstairs neighbor did not like my Grey's vocalizations.