• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds eating my walls

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Hi everyone. Recently my cockatiel and parakeets have taken up the hobby of destroying my walls. I know chewing and pecking things is normal for small parrots but is there a way to stop them from eating my wall? They definitely aren’t doing this out of boredom as they have many chewing toys and playgrounds to entertain them. Is there a way to train them to not eat my walls?:banghead:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Have you considered getting walls that are less delicious? I mean, it is hard to resist gnawing on such tasty walls ....

But speaking seriously ... are there any particular spots that seem to get a lot of attention? You might try rearranging things so those spots are inaccessible or blocked by something chew-proof. Are your parrots fully-flighted? You might want to invest in a parrot tree to encourage them to hang out farther away from the walls.

It might be hormone-related. Could try adjusted sleep time and diet to discourage nesting behaviors.

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Have you considered getting walls that are less delicious? I mean, it is hard to resist gnawing on such tasty walls ....

But speaking seriously ... are there any particular spots that seem to get a lot of attention? You might try rearranging things so those spots are inaccessible or blocked by something chew-proof. Are your parrots fully-flighted? You might want to invest in a parrot tree to encourage them to hang out farther away from the walls.

It might be hormone-related. Could try adjusted sleep time and diet to discourage nesting behaviors.
Lol! Yes they always go for one spot behind their cage that my cockatiel used to chew. I’ve pushed the cage against the wall so my cockatiel can’t get it, but my small parakeets can get to it. My birds are fully flighted and LOVE flying around the room so a tree stand may be a good investment. Thanks!!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley chews on my walls if given the chance. I have ziptied a large piece of cardboard to the back of his cage (on the outside) so that he can't climb back there and get at the wall. You could get something more durable if you don't want to have to replace it. You could also zip tie or bolt pieces of pine inside the cage instead to give them a distraction. :) I think they tend to like walls because they don't move when being chewed!

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Ripley chews on my walls if given the chance. I have ziptied a large piece of cardboard to the back of his cage (on the outside) so that he can't climb back there and get at the wall. You could get something more durable if you don't want to have to replace it. You could also zip tie or bolt pieces of pine inside the cage instead to give them a distraction. :) I think they tend to like walls because they don't move when being chewed!
Cardboard is genius! And pine! Thanks!