• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds, attacking there lighting

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Hey,

So I have 2 IRNs, and on the top of both of there cages I have there UV lights - how do i get them to leave it alone? Like they keep trying to pull out the wires or chewing on the plastic reflexors.

Each time, I call them away and get them to do a trick (then reward for the job they've done) - but other than distraction how can I avoid this?

Any suggestions would help me out?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do they eat pellets with vitamin D? If they do, I would just remove the lights.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
you can run wires through pvc pipes to help.

Maybe sesgrass cargo nets to try and exclude them from getting to lights if can be fire safe distance. Or cage lights , use spare bird cage grate or something. Or susoend lights higher?

Or

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The HARI Vision cage light comes with the following disclaimer...

For use with caged birds only!
Caution: Always double-check to ensure that any cables and cords are not within reach of your pet birds. Be sure to always provide your birds with a shady area and time away from source of heat and light. Always monitor your bird for signs of overexposure or overheating.

... in other words, don't let your birds have access to the lights.

That guidance isn't unique to the HARI, I just happened to be reading it before reading your thread here.

Its design also incorporates a rigid protective element for the cable as suggested by @Pixiebeak

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all your responses, yes they are cages birds but I do let them out to be able to have a proper fly around no animal should be in its cage constantly - I will definitely try the pvc tubing, like wise yes they eat a complete food mix but the uv lights have been proven to improves a birds overall health and immune system, along side this my vet has approved there diet and still says they should have there lights

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
no animal should be in its cage constantly
You'll find no dissenting opinion among those who offered suggestions.

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Im not saying there were, I was stating that it's my belief that no animal should be - and as I've mentioned above I am grateful for all the suggestions