• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds as food, thoughts?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I was wondering, if you eat bugs, can you consider yourself as a vegetarian?

Because I really looking forward to that day when you can buy bugs as food in a food store.
For what I have learned so far, bugs can replace all other meat so no more animal needs to die.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was wondering, if you eat bugs, can you consider yourself as a vegetarian?

Because I really looking forward to that day when you can buy bugs as food in a food store.
For what I have learned so far, bugs can replace all other meat so no more animal needs to die.
I wouldn't, personally. I've eaten bugs and arachnids before, but stopped eating them when I stopped eating meat. They're alive, sentient, and don't want to die. No different than any other animal, in my opinion.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I eat the eggs my chickens lay. They are under no expectation to do so. My eldest hen T-Rex hasn't laid in a long time. I can't even recall how long...more than a year nearly two years? maybe?

Suffering is suffering. It is hard to be perfect because no matter what we buy, eat or drive... there is suffering somewhere.

We can only do our best to reduce suffering. We can be smart consumers. We can reject factory farmed animals. Chickens have drawn the short straw in mass meat/egg production. They are exploited. As chicks can live a few days without eating after hatching....this was intended to help the hen. All her chicks could hatch and she could leave the nest with the group together. Some of the early hatches would have enough energy to wait for the late arrivals. --well in the cruel world of industry this has caused chickens to be easy to ship, sort, and distribute very cost effectively.

We are omnivores so we have the privilege to tie our believes, culture and politics to food. If we were koalas we would only eat eucalyptus... there would be no debate. Since we are omnivores from a society of plenty, we can make the choice to reduce suffering.

The opportunity cost of animal based diets exceeds all food losses

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I have chickens for eggs and food. While I don't specifically raise them for meat, they do have a purpose in our household as I sell the eggs. I know they have the best life possible with a large coop and they can free range as much as they like. They all have names and are amazingly smart. They are loved and I know the whole process is humane since I do everything myself. I have my favorites and they will probably stay here for their entire lives. I have no desire to be vegan/vegetarian, but I will go out of my way to buy humane and ethically produced meat from small farms.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was a vegetarian from 14-30, vegan from 30-58. I ate this way for ethical reasons, not wanting an animal to die for my meals. I did not thrive at all. I ate a carb centered diet and had nagging health issues too numerous to list. At 58 I slowly began eating meat from one source, a farm in Virginia, that I visited. Their animals are treated with respect, with the ability to live as normal as possible, until they are slaughtered. I eat their chicken, pork and pastured eggs. I also eat wild Alaskan salmon and some other fish from Vital Choice. Then I began to eat only organic veggies/a little fruit and very little processed food. I rarely eat at restaurants because I don't feel well afterwards. At almost 65, I am trim and healthy (although I do still have some issues that are continuing to be unraveled as I continue with this path). I do not take any medications or have any mental health issues. I know it's my diet that has turned things around. Obviously not just meat/fish but quality food choices. But I believe I need meat and fish to thrive. Maybe not everyone does. I don't eat wheat or nightshades and I eat very little dairy, just cheese as an occasional condiment. Honestly it's crazy expensive to eat this way but I'm lucky that I don't need lavish vacations, etc. I'd rather spend money on food and ultimately my health.

I do understand how someone could feel that an animal should not have to die for our meals. It's just awful when you see how some animals are treated.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't like eating birds. The feathers get stuck in your throat. :D

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
We raise chickens and eat their eggs, but the chickens are our pets, and if one dies, it gets a proper burial and tears. We do eat chicken still, but we spend extra to buy the most humane and naturally raised we can find. I would like to be a vegetarian for ethical reasons, but I've found it very very difficult with a meat loving husband.
Same here, we have chickens, eat the eggs, but
never a chicken. Not ours anyway. we bury them.
Go to store to get out chicken to eat.