• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds as food, thoughts?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I know this subject may be sort of controversial, but I don't really know where else to go. But basically I'm legetly considering no longer eating any sort of bird (chickens, turkeys, etc.).

My reason for this is, I've lived in rural countries and I know how these birds are treated, it's not fair to them. To see, 50 chickens stuffed in a little cage on the back of a motorcycle or all in a little cage outside someone's shop, it's truly heartbreaking.

Even in more civilized places (The States, Canada, etc.) These animals are still treated bad if not worse. Also, if someone asks you to think about where your meat comes from, chances are you will say "I would rather not think about it" that just proves, we know it's wrong, so why should we continue to eat them?

But then again, I guess we have to control the population of these animals, so it's almost good?? I mean, if they did it more civilized, maybe it would be okay, but I honestly don't agree with the slaughter of these animals.

I would like to hear your guys thoughts on this.. What do you all think?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I can't eat it. I only tasted chicken once and I threw up. I really wanted to eat it for the protein but the chewy/chunky texture is just too gross for me to handle. I'm ok with that cause I love birds way too much.

I do eat eat eggs though. I guess it's easier because they haven't been born yet and the texture is much different. Plus they don't have bones and blood.

I was a strict vegetarian for about 15 years but only within the last few years eat a little meat here and there for nourishment (mostly protein and iron) I feel bad even eating the little meat I do but somehow eating birds is not something I can ever imagine doing.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
We have very hard regulations on how to treat any animals that suppose to be our food.
But that we are raising them as food is and will always be wrong for me.
And it's the same with hens that gives us eggs. I also think that this is wrong.

But..

We have to eat, yet I haven't found a good diet when you train that is 100% vegetarian.
The meat I prefer to eat is horse. I guess that some of you freak out now, but let me explain myself.
Horses are having a really good life in Sweden. No horses are raised to be food here. So when horses injured themselves, you have three options, let them be meat, burn them or bury them. To bury a horse in Sweden is difficult. The land must be yours, far away from water and you must seek for a authorization that is hard to get.
So that gives us two more possible options left. Meat or burn them. And why should good meat be wasted?

But when I see pigs, cows, hens, turkey e.t.c that are raised and trapped in a smaller area for only one reason - To be our food, I got really sad.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's all grey, arbitrary lines. A pig is no less intelligent than a dog, but we eat pigs here, and cringe at someone eating a dog. Some countries look at us eating a cow the same way we look at someone eating a dog.

I personally prefer meat that has been ethically hunted (deer, for instance) or raised. I've always been taught you treat the animals that sustain you with respect and kindness.

I was a vegetarian for a few years and honestly don't eat that much meat beyond seafood and eggs. But that's my line in the sand and I can't ask anyone to move theirs. Just because I wouldn't personally eat a dog doesn't mean I can vilify a family who does.

What we can do is ask for better standards, lives,and care for food animals, because that fight is both easier to win and more realistic.

As for chicken? I eat it occasionally but I have a low tolerance for the texture.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm a vegetarian so you know where I stand when it comes to eating poultry, beef, pork, fish, etc.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
We raise chickens and eat their eggs, but the chickens are our pets, and if one dies, it gets a proper burial and tears. We do eat chicken still, but we spend extra to buy the most humane and naturally raised we can find. I would like to be a vegetarian for ethical reasons, but I've found it very very difficult with a meat loving husband.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My grandfather would hunt, he had no choice, he had 8 kids and was poor. He took care of what he killed and used every last little bit of it.... Needless to say, my dad quickly became pescatarian at a young age (once he left home and joined the navy). So when I grew up we always had vegetables and fish on the table as well as meat.
I wish I could be vegetarian, but I´m such a picky eater that I wouldn´t be able to eat out in most restaurants. Even the mcdonalds in Spain doesn´t sell the veggie burger.
At home I am so simple, I could live off potatoes. I don´t eat much meat at all. I like potatoes, onions, cheese, risotto(parmesan) - I think they are my home staples lol unhealthy I know but it is what it is.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
M
I could live off potatoes. I like potatoes, onions, cheese, risotto(parmesan) - I think they are my home staples lol unhealthy I know but it is what it is.

Add doritos, donuts, chocolate, and broccoli and that's my diet. :D Doctor prescribed too! :laugh:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Here in NL we can buy certified meat that guarantees the animal has had a healthy life with free space... so for cows, pigs and chicken this means a minimum amount of time outside, a minimum square meter per animal, etc etc.

That said, i rarely eat meat, because im not a meat eater. If i eat meat its mostly chicken or cow meat, and i choose as much certified meat as possible. But in general i try to live with as less impact on the environment as possible. :) i use bio degradable cleaning wares etc etc.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've been vegan for a long long time, so my opinion is obvious. And as for who mentioned training, there are world class athletes like triathletes and marathon runners who are vegan, it can be done. I've ran a few marathons. Our bodies are all different though, so what works for one may not work for another. I've dabbled in sashimi recently. I can't do it, mental block.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
The worst smell to me, is any kind of egg. For some reason it just makes me gag. People always ask how I can live without cheese and the thing is, after I quit dairy I realized I'm lactose intolerant (which is normal for a weaned mammal) so all the blinding gi pain I'd had over the years magically went away! So now, I don't eat any dairy because the idea and smell grosses me out, but also because I would get incredibly sick. I've almost passed out in the past from my lactose intolerance. I'm not a holier-than-thou vegan though, you do you, and I do cheat on a little bakery like cookies.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I'm veggie too, gravitating towards vegan. There is much more choice for vegans these days.

Editing to add, JT they do vegan protein powders. I have one made of pea.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Editing to add, JT they do vegan protein powders. I have one made of pea.
Yes I know, but it's still not the same. And my body don't like chemical added vitamins.
I do eat alot of hemp that has very good protein. I often say that I'm a 90% vegetarian, but for the animals sake I wish it was 100%.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Interesting fact most people don't know.
Eating meat releases a chemical in the brain to increase aggression. This was very helpful when hunting was the best way to get food (meat).
These days most people who eat meat no longer hunt for their food so the chemical is only leading to a more aggressive population.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've been a vegitarian my whole life. I do drink milk but we always get it from a local brand. Also, I only eat non-fertlized eggs. Me, my siblings, my grandparents, and my mom are all vegetarians. My mom started when she was 12 (I think?) and she has been a vegitarian ever since.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I have been vegan for a little bit under a year now. Best decision I have made for my health, the animals, and the environment. So my opinion on this is obvious. To me, a chicken's life doesn't mean anything less than my Amazon Parrot or my Lovebirds. If I wouldn't eat my pets, I wouldn't eat a chicken or any other animal for that matter.

The final straw was watching a documentary called "What the Health". It is on Netflix and youtube. Went from being pescetarian to vegan overnight after watching that film. I highly recommend watching it.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I love birds. To eat them, well, DELICIOUS! Pass the plate! Give me fowl, yummy! Chicken is my favorite! Ginny hens are good too and so are quail. Only birds I don't care for is turkey and duck but I'll eat all the rest. I love birds. :yes3: