• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds are weird little creatures.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yuck. This is why I like water bottles. As long as they keep working the bird can only wet the individual pellet.
Water bottles still have to be washed everyday. Bacteria can build up on the licker and ammonia builds up fast in water. Get some test strips and test day old water from a water bottle to see if your water source does it.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Thank you. Do you mean ammonia test strips? Is that because some bacteria produce ammonia?

For many years, I had a bird with a bad leg who thought her water cup was very comfortable to sit on. She would poop in her water and then say “want drink”. That’s when I started using them.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you. Do you mean ammonia test strips? Is that because some bacteria produce ammonia?

For many years, I had a bird with a bad leg who thought her water cup was very comfortable to sit on. She would poop in her water and then say “want drink”. That’s when I started using them.
Yes, ammonia test strips. It would be good for you to know if the levels of ammonia rise to unhealthy levels. I would rather wash a bowl or cup out than to deal with a water bottle. They do love to bath in their water and it is messy but it is a part of their natural behavior.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think it was mostly that as that particular bird aged the dish was where she could perch comfortably. Then I started buying her corner perched and other adaptations.

i keep a dilute spray bottle of bleach by my sink and used to clean their food cups with that.
I’ll look into those test strips and maybe I can test which works best.