• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds are weird little creatures.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Pudge is something else :roflmao: Quakers, I'm learning, goofy little nerds

His favorite way to eat his pellets? Pick up as many as his beak can hold, and drop them into the water dish to fish out and eat. But if I offer moistened pellets? Absofreakinglutely not. How dare you suggest that this damp food is even possibly worth eating??

He has taken to wagging his tail anytime we’re hanging out. I had to look this one up - apparently it can show excitement about doing something he thinks is fun? Which can be anything from scritches to preening my hair while I wash dishes to chasing a chopstick around (he likes wooden chopsticks, I’ll drag it across a table and he chases it - I’m thinking I might be able to teach him to fetch).

He screams for me the second I’m out of eyesight, BUT if we’re sitting on the couch he likes to run from me anytime I try to catch him. It’s definitely a game to him, I wish I could explain how I can tell. There’s no fear, he’ll run up to me and then when I reach my hand out he’ll run away. But when I stand up to get off the couch he’ll come right over to be picked up.

And of course, his favorite game - flutter (since he can’t fly) to any other room, land on the floor, and then wait for me to come get him. Usually includes him yelling at me if I take too long :roflmao:

Dude cracks me up. Quakers should be more popular than they are.

Attachments

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think a lot of birds are overlooked including quakers, but also budgies, lovebirds, linnies & cockatiels. 'Upgrading' is also sadly common. It's like some people spend a little time on social media & suddenly want a different, inevitably bigger, species. :(

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
Haha he sounds like quite the character!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Too funny :)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think a lot of birds are overlooked including quakers, but also budgies, lovebirds, linnies & cockatiels. 'Upgrading' is also sadly common. It's like some people spend a little time on social media & suddenly want a different, inevitably bigger, species. :(
You’re definitely right about what people seem to think of as “beginner birds”. Tteok (cockatiel) is fantastic and occasionally has big bird attitude in his little small bird body. Budgies have WAY more personality than people realize too. I think Linnies are just unknown for most people, probably because the majority of pet stores don’t carry them.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
He’s so gorgeous sounds like a right little character bet u have got your hands full

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
you are right budgies are amazing little birds and there’s always so many on selling sites for rehoming

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a cute little character.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is what I was talking about :meh:

We change Mojo's water minimun 6 times a day toy parts go in her water changing the colour,she likes to drop pellets in her water, she baths in it, and her favourite right now is eating fresh peas over her water bowl once the peas are gone the pod is in her water.
Keeks just drinks her water and bathes in it she is such a good girl

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's so cute!!!!

Opie will pick up veggies he's dropped and put them in a little pile on top of his cage o_O

I'm going to have to show him this video!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
This is what I was talking about :meh:

My lovebirds do this and same if I give moist (hate that word :nocomment:) it’s a no obviously only them can get the water to biscuit ratio right:rofl:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
We change Mojo's water minimun 6 times a day toy parts go in her water changing the colour,she likes to drop pellets in her water, she baths in it, and her favourite right now is eating fresh peas over her water bowl once the peas are gone the pod is in her water.
same in my house too but all three do it no good birds here
Well done keets extra treat for you

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
What a cute little fellow. Yes,Quakers are weird little birds.i am sorry you could not keep the two birds together.

my willow loves me but loses it if he’s tucked in for the night and I come to his cage and ask him to come out. Like, you were preening my eyebrows two hours ago. What’s your deal, bird?

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Pudge is something else :roflmao: Quakers, I'm learning, goofy little nerds

His favorite way to eat his pellets? Pick up as many as his beak can hold, and drop them into the water dish to fish out and eat. But if I offer moistened pellets? Absofreakinglutely not. How dare you suggest that this damp food is even possibly worth eating??

He has taken to wagging his tail anytime we’re hanging out. I had to look this one up - apparently it can show excitement about doing something he thinks is fun? Which can be anything from scritches to preening my hair while I wash dishes to chasing a chopstick around (he likes wooden chopsticks, I’ll drag it across a table and he chases it - I’m thinking I might be able to teach him to fetch).

He screams for me the second I’m out of eyesight, BUT if we’re sitting on the couch he likes to run from me anytime I try to catch him. It’s definitely a game to him, I wish I could explain how I can tell. There’s no fear, he’ll run up to me and then when I reach my hand out he’ll run away. But when I stand up to get off the couch he’ll come right over to be picked up.

And of course, his favorite game - flutter (since he can’t fly) to any other room, land on the floor, and then wait for me to come get him. Usually includes him yelling at me if I take too long :roflmao:

Dude cracks me up. Quakers should be more popular than they are.
Oh my goodness! My daughters Conure is the same way...... back and forth back and forth all day making his little soup. He is so funny!!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My Astro ( green cheek) always grabs a beak full of pellets to drop in her water cup. Picks them out of the water one at a time to eat… dips her beak mid crunching… shakes her head to get rid of extra water and repeats the process. It’s a universal bird thing. Unfortunately…EVERYthing in her cage gets coated with pellet crust from her method of eating. She’s my messiest eater.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Yuck. This is why I like water bottles. As long as they keep working the bird can only wet the individual pellet.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
My old Quaker understood the concept behind soup and used to stick her head in and fish around. Then I would have to baby shampoo her greasy head.

honestly your bird is basically eating cereal. I mean who wants to eat dry cereal? It’s better in milk.