• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Birds are very sick

madison nicole

Walking the driveway
My sisters two cockatiels are very sick. They just really started showing signs today and I don't think they will make it. The only avian vet near us has an entrance fee of $150 per bird. We really can't afford it and they don't seem like they will make it much longer. We can hardly keep them awake and they won't drink or eat. We found them at the bottom of the cage and now they are freezing and puffed up. We have a heating pad turned on low with a blanket over it. What should we do

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
I am so sorry to hear this, I wish I could help. Bump! Prayers to your sister's fids <3 :) :sadhug2:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's doubtful that they just started showing signs today *unless* there was a toxin within the environment that made them sick. Candles, air fresheners, bug sprays, paint, PTFE coated items that heat up.... (toaster oven, microwave, oven, toaster, heating coils on a dryer, bake-ware, pans, etc are some examples)

Can you call around to various vets and see if there are any others in the area that treat birds?

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
Some aren't eligible, I'm not because I have no credit history. Good luck, I hope they pull through.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sounds like something toxic entered the environment because they both got very sick at the same time.

They need a vet and emergency facilities. There is no other advice.

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
I have nothing to say but that my heart is aching for those two sweet cockatiels. If you can't afford a vet I guess comfort measures are all that can be done.

But if at all possible, take the little ones to a vet. If it's not too late.

madison nicole

Walking the driveway
Well I don't know what to say. I don't actually live with my sister so I was tell you all everything she was telling me as she was freaking out. One of the birds did doe and when she called and told me this I just sat there and cried. The other one is acting just fine now. But they took it to the vet and they said everything was normal

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well I don't know what to say. I don't actually live with my sister so I was tell you all everything she was telling me as she was freaking out. One of the birds did doe and when she called and told me this I just sat there and cried. The other one is acting just fine now. But they took it to the vet and they said everything was normal
That does sound right. :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for the loss of the 'tiel. I hope the other one will be OK.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry that the cockatiel passed.

Matt

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry

madison nicole

Walking the driveway
Thank you all for the comments. My sisters other bird is grieving terribly and we don't know what to do. We may try to adopt another bird but it's just really hard for my sister right now. She loves both of them so much and now one of them passed and she is grieving a lot. She has had her one bird out of its cage since yesterday and has kept a food and water dish out. She won't let the bird out of her sight.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that your sister lost one of her budgies. Yes, the other one will grieve - my Jasper grieved terribly when she was rehomed from the family she loved and again when Hank died. I was grieving for Hank too, but tried to never lose sight of the fact that Jasper's grief needed attention too. We sort of recovered together.

clicketty

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashlyn
I'm so sorry :( It sounds like your sister really cares for the remaining tiel and I am so happy to hear that, as I nearly had a breakdown when I had to leave Rin alone at home without his brother. I feel like your sister knows what she is doing. Just make sure there is always clean water and food, talking and signing softly is nice, and turning on a radio is comforting for the bird when she is not around.

I would suggest that if your sister is often crying with the bird, it would be wise for her to stop. Believe me, I cry very much when I lose a little one, but I've learned that it likely has damaging affects on the bird as they will pick up on your emotions and can make them sadder.

I wish your sister and her bird the best, and I send lots of hugs and good feelings :bluhug:

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am really sorry you and your sister are going through this. You need to find out why the bird died. Was there an air freshner in the house? nonstick pans? candles? did the oven overheat? was it being cleaned? I would make sure she has a vet fund set up so she does not lose another bird. I would consider adopting a cockatiel at some point for the living one, but first I would make sure I investigated potential causes of death and had money set aside for a vet. Did the vet have any input?