• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds and dogs

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
So a family member I live with wants to get a dog in a few months. We don’t have any other animals except for my bird. It’s unfortunate, but I wanted to know what dog breeds are okay around birds? Obviously I would make sure they would have as little contact as possible but what dog breeds are friendly, active, and have a low prey drive? It would also be best if it was hypoallergenic/ low shedding. How are poodle mixes around birds? Also they are looking to get an adult dog not a puppy.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I think it depends on the individual dog. Owning dogs and birds is not so bad, you just have to put boundaries. Dog can't interact with bird and bird can't with dog. Every dog should be well trained though. Not only does it help in an emergency, it helps keep the dog calmer. I would go to the shelter and look for a dog that suits your family.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have a dog and birds. I also already had my birds when I got my dog. The birds adapted to the change, and since my dog was a puppy from day 1 he also became accustom to the bird schedule. He is almost 3 now, and he still waits patiently for me to feed the birds in the morning before he gets fed, it is our ritual and he has never known it any other way. Dogs like routine the same as birds, so if you make a regular schedule of events it helps. For example, I walk my dog in the evening since the birds head to bed around 6 or 7pm, so after that time my dogs gets very peppy and excited to go on a little adventure. But in the midday when my birds are out, he sleeps contently in his own space. He is fully integrated into our routine.

The most important thing between dogs and birds is to manage full separation. Even dog saliva can be dangerous and deadly to birds. I would be suspicious of hypoallergenic dog claims, many people who are allergic to dogs are allergic to their saliva. All dogs will sheds some, and all dogs will lick and such. If anyone has a serious allergy to dogs it may not be the best companion. Happy doggy kisses shouldn't be a point of tension in a relationship, at least in my opinion.

Most dogs can kill a bird easily, even if they have a low prey drive. I think it may be better to select a breed based on their personality. For example, working dogs require a lot of exercise daily and could become hyper, impatient or anxious if they don't have a job to do. Poodles are working dogs. I would go for a breed that doesn't mind relaxing and sleeping often. There is a lot of misunderstanding about herding dogs like sheepdogs and boarder collies, these dogs actually have high prey drive which is what the handler uses to get them to move sheep. However when it comes to breed, no two dogs are the same. Breeds are stereotyped, but there is still a large variation.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would just assume that all dogs are not safe to be around your bird to make sure your bird stays safe.
Keep them separated at all times and then it literally makes no difference what breed or age of dog you bring home.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Every dog should be well trained though.
Yes! This is a good point. I did obedience training with my dog. He is very responsive and has impeccable recall. A well trained dog will only help to manage in a multi-species home. All dogs are trainable and smart! What dogs crave is dependability and leadership, if they trust you will always reward them for their good behaviour, it will become very easy to train your dog. It is all about positive trust... and a treat jar helps too :heart2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree with Shez. Birds are not safe around any dogs. It´s not only their prey drive, accidents can happen and a non prey driven dog could easily step on a small bird. I had my dog before my birds so I showed him the birds I brought home and he never was interested in them much, but I did fear he would try to get away from them and step on one, so I would keep them separate if I had more than one bird out of their cage. He was 35kilos, laid back, obedient, no prey drive and not very active due to his hip dysplasia and luckily we never had any issues, he would sleep most of the day in my bedroom or in the hallway while the birds were out, and he would have walks in the morning and evenings to avoid the hot sun, which also coincided with the birds being caged/sleeping which was perfect.
Recently I´ve been petsiting on and off for a super small dog, she weighs just 2 kilos, but the first day I brought her to my home I was so worried by the way she acted around the birds, it was awful. Luckily she´s calmed down and doesn´t pay attention to them now, however I won´t forget how she was and there´s no way in heck I´d be allowing any kind of access. I won´t even allow one bird out with the dog around. She obviously can´t reach the cages as she´s tiny and my birds are in flight cages, but I still close the doors when we are out or asleep so she can´t come into this room at all without a human present.

Another thing to think about is how your bird will act with a dog around, even when caged and the dog comes into the room, would your bird be ok, or would they freak out? If your bird is scared, you would have to look at housing your bird in a room the dog can never enter.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have always figured why take the risk? It is best and safest to assume that no dog will be safe around your bird and to keep them separated 100% always.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I allow my dogs to be in the same room as the birds as long as they are in their cage. My dogs are also short and calm, so they never bump into the cage out of excitement. They don't even look at the cage. I wouldn't let a hyper dog in the same room though. They would probably stress the birds with their clumsies and knocking into everything.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I think it depends on the individual dog.
Breeds are stereotyped, but there is still a large variation.
Research supports these points...
I echo what others have said about the safety issue, but it sounds like you don't have a choice in whether or not a dog is coming, so I'll offer a suggestion.

Since you're focusing on an adult dog, a rescue organization that's doing their job will pre-screen their adult dogs to look for that tendency.

My suggestion is to find a quality organization doing the rehoming, and go meet some dogs, rather than targeting a specific species.

Even with that, keeping them separate is the only way to guarantee safety.

Your bird could have different reactions to a dog too -- fright, curiosity, aggression, and indifference are all possible.

Having come from having a dog, to having birds with a dog, to just birds, I think about this topic each time a neighbour asks if I'll be getting a dog again, and this is my personal conclusion and why I won't be getting a dog (as much as I love them) -- I love how much freedom my birds have without the worry.

Last edited:

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
I have a golden/shepherd mix and I don't let my birds out around him but he can be around their cages just fine. He's still just 2 and is kind of a crazy puppy, maybe in the future though. Twice one of my parakeets got out but he only sniffed at him. In my experience it's best to introduce a young puppy to birds (with careful supervision) so she learns they are normal part of life. Though our Chiweenie was 2 when she met the birds and she was always good around them.

I think golden retrievers are good around birds, I had a golden/rough collie mix that was totally trustworthy around my birds when they were out, even played a little with our lovebird who would chase him and land in his fur, also a chiweenie who was good. I always supervised them though, and I wouldn't let a bird harass them.

I would never get a terrier of any kind or mix, their prey drive is too high. Same with a husky, border collie or any hound. I tried to adopt a border collie mix but all he wanted to do was chase and try to eat birds. I have heard Dobies are ok with birds, and also boxers also Great Pyrs or Maremmas. One thing you could do is look on IG and see if there's accounts of birds and dogs interacting, and take note of the breed.

One more thing, my dog is half working line GSD and he is so lazy I can't even believe it. He gets upset if a walk is longer than 40 minutes! So sometimes breeds defy expectations.

Last edited:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
and a treat jar helps too
For just $19.95, Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the TTB*. The best training device you'll ever use. Your dog will obey your every command, if you have the TTB! But wait, there's more! Included with your TTB, for just $19.95, you'll get my complete guide to understanding your dog's thought processes!**

*TTB=Terrific Treat Box
**Food. That's it. Just food.

Sorry, this was a spoof I once did on those types of commercials. Your post reminded me of it!

I allow my dogs to be in the same room as the birds as long as they are in their cage
I have no choice but to allow my dogs in the same room with TD due to our chosen lifestyle. Luckily, they really pay him no mind. I have no doubt though that that would not be the case were he out of his cage. I remember that Dusty couldn't take his eyes off of Miyetti when he was out.

- I love how much freedom my birds have without the worry.
I love my dogs to the ends of the earth and back. We already had both dogs and were full-time RV'ers when TD came into our lives. Both of the dogs are seniors now. I dread the day that's coming, but, to be completely honest, I am looking forward to a time when TD won't have to be "locked up" for so much of his time.

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
... risky behaviour that you would be wise not to emulate for the sake of your birds.
I agree imitating that sort of behavior would be risky, however I'm just suggesting seeing what kinds of dogs out there seem to be interacting well with birds to help a person decide what sort of dog to get. For instance, seeing golden retrievers and birds getting along on IG made me more inclined to get one. I would never suggest to immediately introduce the two. Also, it really depends on the dog. My previous dogs one of which I had for 19 years, were trustworthy and never bothered my birds. But my current dog, I still don't trust him yet!

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I also trained my dog, so that if I have my bird, my dog will stay out of the room I'm in. Its pretty useful.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think a lot of people overestimate how well trained their dog is. This can lead to very dangerous situations. Best to play it safe, IMO.

I'd trust walls, doors or a cage far more than your average pet dog, with the level of training most pet dogs achieve. I read somewhere once, "Inside every dog beats the heart of a wolf."

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have 3 dogs with my birds as well as 2 senior cats ..I have partitioned a wall with a screen door in it to keep my furries out of the room when my birds are out ..I would never trust my dogs around my birds when they are out no matter what type of dog you get there is always a chance of something happening .. You can never trust that a dog wont do anything when birds are out .. :)

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
For an adult dog, I would definitely recommend a good rescue. Also be very clear that you have a bird and to ask how any potential candidates are around cats, birds, squirrels when on walks. In my experience a dog reactive on a walk is going to be more likely to be interested in that same creature in the home. A lot of rescues also have a foster to adopt system where you can do a 'trial run' and see if the dog meshes with your household. I personally would also recommend a smaller dog, any dog can do damage, but a Chihuahua is simply not doing to do as much, as quickly as say a Shepherd or a Dane.

As far as breed specifics go I would lean toward the Toy group or any dog bred for companionship, Shih Tzu's come to mind as they are typically pretty chill dogs, although every dog is an individual. For example we had a Cavalier King Charles come to daycare that was very drivey when the breed is known for being a royal lapdog (royal in every sense of the word lol).

Hypoallergenic is also just a buzzword used to sell puppies to people with allergies. No dog is hypoallergenic, low shedding breeds emit less allergy inducing dander as the fur doesn't readily shed and release the dander; but it still exists. Beware of anywhere selling "hypoallergenic, tiny, micro, teacup, teddy bear" nonsense as it's all just buzzwords to get your attention. I would also avoid Doodles and the like at all costs due to poor breeding practices.

Training with any dog though is going to be your best friend, along with constant supervision.

I appear to be in the minority in regards to birds with dogs as my current lovey and my past bird have always been allowed to be out and around the dogs. Sandi was introduced to Valkyrie one on one when we brought her home and began the association that the inside bird is not the same as the outside birds she's allowed to chase. She needed to learn about the new addition and Valkyrie needed to learn and get used to her as well. I do trust Sandi around Valkyrie (even if Valkyrie plops to the floor) however I would never leave them alone together without supervision, as the saying goes "when the cats away, the mice will play," and we are the cats keeping our mice in line, lol. As for Angel, she is allowed to watch Valkyrie from the hallway, but she also has little regard in her senior years.

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
I've started setting up boundaries with my own dog upon getting my bird. They are no longer allowed in the same room at the same time, unless my Geebs is in her cage or my dog in his kennel. However, before this, my dog was always very cautious and calm around my bird.

As for best species, it honestly depends on the dog. That's what I find for any owner looking for a dog: the characteristics of the breed will not always match up with what you get. For example, I have a chihuahua-jack russel terrier mix. He's a rescue who was abandoned by his previous owners. You'd think that a mix of two very energetic, excitable breeds, combined with his past, would result in an irritable dog. But no! He is a couch potato and the sweetest, calmest dog you'll ever meet.

This is turning into a whole thing about what to expect when picking out a dog. I would personally choose what YOU want, not what you think is best for your bird. This dog will be with you for a while, not to mention you should be keeping your dog and bird separate anyhow. I would also go for a rescue dog. You'd be saving a life :)