• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds and college?

What did you do with your bird(s) in college?

• Didn’t have any in college

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Kept at my home

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • In my dorm with my roommate accepting it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In my apartment

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
What did you do with any birds that you had in college? I’m a planner, so I’d like to know if people just keep their birds at their old house or take it with them to the college for reference. Sorry this post was so short

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I'm lucky the city I live in has a pretty big university so I live at home with my birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I didn't have any in college. My college town wasn't very pet friendly - you can't have any in the dorms, and living off campus was a lot more money.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I had a cat during university, not birds.

It might depend on how social you are and how much you want to participate in college life.

I've always been an anti-social homebody, so I went to classes and then promptly returned to my off-campus apartment -- leaving my cat alone for 4-ish hours per day.

This approach to college life would have easily worked for birds, but doesn't do much for what many people go to college for (connections and building a network).

ems08

Walking the driveway
I was fortunate enough to get financial aid for college that included room and board-- but didn't allow pets. My lovebird stayed home with my mom for the first 2 years, but this was the first time in her life she was living alone and she didn't want any responsibilities. She tried to get me to rehome the bird, but I was able to convince my dad to take her for the other 2 years. He and I didn't have a good relationship, but I thought it was better than the alternative when I could get her back when I graduated. He had a pair of lovebirds and an african grey so certainly capable of adding another lovebird to the flock.

It worked out reasonably well in that I did get her back and had her for another 7+ years after college. Unfortunately she came back to me with feathers missing from the back of her neck and it turns out she caught PBFD while living with them. One of the lovebird pair died unexpectedly, so I don't know what exactly happened. In retrospect I maybe should have figured out something different, but I was pretty desperate so I'm not sure what.

It's definitely worth planning for, but circumstances also can change midstream and you have to do what you think is best!

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I'm currently going to a university, it's a pretty big struggle trying to find affordable housing that will allow birds, but I couldn't leave them behind... I am going to move into a triplex soon, and the landlord says I can bring my birds.
Housing with any pet is definitely something you have to plan for and search for awhile

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
College is a big change in life & for me was all absorbing. I had no pets in college & lived on campus in the dorms.
Kudos to those who can take the responsibility, find the extra time & have the funds to find a safe place to live with their birds.
College & birds is like oil & water.
Just be ready to keep shaking...

Good Luck

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'll ammend my last post as I went to college in the last century in the early 80's.
There were no personal computers & no covid.
Both have changed education & the way we learn & work.
It may be a long time til the lecture halls are filled again & we can live with in a dorm with our peers.
Perhaps the world will never be the same. We will exist behind our screens & hide our faces behind masks.

Not a great time for college but not a great time for anything but the world has to go on & we need to live in it the best we can.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I'm in the process of working on my bachelor's degree and what I have done for the past three semesters is I try to take as many classes online and just a few on campus. I've always been more of a homebody and don't mind taking online classes at all, so it has worked great for me. And now with covid, online classes are offered for almost all classes at my university if people want the option. It's been great to be able to do most classes from my home and have the ability to still have my birds out on a regular basis and not be changing their routine dramatically. And then I work part time in the evenings some days throughout the week and full days on weekends and run a small online business/store, it can seem like a lot sometimes, but with the right scheduling and time management it can work.