• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds and Cats

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi there!

I am moving into a new place soon. It is the lower level of a house that has been converted into an apartment. The family upstairs has two male cats. The birds will be behind closed doors at all times, unless I am going outside with them in their carriers/harnesses.

I'd still like to ask for some advice from people who have experience with this mix of species. Are there any more precautions I can take? They have access to the lower floor, I can't change that. Anything else I should do to make their setups safe?

I've had my birds with dogs, but cats make me infinitely more nervous.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I have had birds and cats together all of my life and never had an issue until recently. One of my cats knocked my parakeets travel cage to the floor, breaking it, and she got out. He proceeded to chase her, and perhaps even made contact. Despite my best efforts, she died from shock two weeks later.

My cat was half-grown at the time, and very quick; it all happened within the blink of an eye.

My mistake? This particularly noisy, and very persistent kitty, should have been behind closed doors whenever I had that bird out, cage or no cage.

In your case, there is really nothing more to be done than to make sure your door is closed at all times and that the birds are locked in their cages whenever you leave.

Try to keep communications open with the family upstairs. Let them know when you will be taking your birds out and ask if they can keep the kitties upstairs during that time.

Male cats usually aren't the hunters that females are, but all cats can be curious.

P.S., dogs can be very much a hazard when it comes to birds. Cats are not the only predator that love to chase birds.

Last edited:

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have had birds and cats together all of my life and never had an issue until recently. One of my cats knocked my parakeets travel cage to the floor, breaking it, and she got out. He proceeded to chase her, and perhaps even made contact. Despite my best efforts, she died from shock two weeks later.

My cat was half-grown at the time, and very quick; it all happened within the blink of an eye.

My mistake? This particularly noisy, and very persistent kitty, should have been behind closed doors whenever I had that bird out, cage or no cage.

In your case, there is really nothing more to be done than to make sure your door is closed at all times and that the birds are locked in their cages whenever you leave.

Male cats usually aren't the hunters that females are, but all cats can be curious.

P.S., dogs can be very much a hazard when it comes to birds. Cats are not the only predator that love to chase birds.
I'm sorry to hear about your babies. It's good to know I'm doing what I can...

I totally agree about dogs, and I behaved similarly with them, however they were older dogs with very low prey drives while these two are young and very playful. Both can be a danger.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Good luck with the move, I don't blame you for being nervous about the kitties. Hopefully you will remember to be alert and on guard at all times. Maybe hang a note to yourself at eye level so everyone will see to make sure the door stays closed? And maybe on the cage doors also. Other than that...

Attachments

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I'm sorry to hear about your babies. It's good to know I'm doing what I can...

I totally agree about dogs, and I behaved similarly with them, however they were older dogs with very low prey drives while these two are young and very playful. Both can be a danger.
Thank you. It wasn't the cat's fault, I should have known better.
I added a suggestion to my original post, maybe it will help.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
It’s always a spot tricky, especially if the people before let the cats into the lower apartment.

If your front door opens outward then I would suggest putting a baby gate across the front entrance.

If it opens inward place something large there that would be same height as a baby gate or higher and learn to open the door so it forms a blockade with whatever is next to the door and the door itself to prevent the cats from charging in.

Cats will often dash through an open door because first they want inside, second they may be used to going inside and third cats are curious.

I’ve done a crude drawing because I’m trying to leave work. Maybe I will replace it will a better one later. Avoid putting any type of planters or stuff around the doors since these are outdoor cats they will most like view it as another litter box and/or territory to mark.

If there are tiny garden area/plant area around the door replace them with the 3/4” crushed granite style of rock. It’s a little mean but it will prevent them from using the area for anything.

So you are doing 2-things at once. Keeping the area clean and forcing the cats to start farther back if they charge the door.

Also hang up wind chimes. Cats hate extraneous noise. The higher pitched the chimes, the more likely they are to avoid the area.

Let us know how that works for you and if need be there are still a couple more strategies but will start falling into the more expensive area.

As I said excuse the scribble nature of this.

AC56E97C-ABC0-4DF9-B51F-EF0EAD3799F3.jpeg

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
It’s always a spot tricky, especially if the people before let the cats into the lower apartment.

If your front door opens outward then I would suggest putting a baby gate across the front entrance.

If it opens inward place something large there that would be same height as a baby gate or higher and learn to open the door so it forms a blockade with whatever is next to the door and the door itself to prevent the cats from charging in.

Cats will often dash through an open door because first they want inside, second they may be used to going inside and third cats are curious.

I’ve done a crude drawing because I’m trying to leave work. Maybe I will replace it will a better one later. Avoid putting any type of planters or stuff around the doors since these are outdoor cats they will most like view it as another litter box and/or territory to mark.

If there are tiny garden area/plant area around the door replace them with the 3/4” crushed granite style of rock. It’s a little mean but it will prevent them from using the area for anything.

So you are doing 2-things at once. Keeping the area clean and forcing the cats to start farther back if they charge the door.

Also hang up wind chimes. Cats hate extraneous noise. The higher pitched the chimes, the more likely they are to avoid the area.

Let us know how that works for you and if need be there are still a couple more strategies but will start falling into the more expensive area.

As I said excuse the scribble nature of this.

View attachment 304082
That makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately there is no separate entrance and the connecting stairway is completely open. It's not ideal, but it's cheap and they are okay with the babies so I'm going for it. I was thinking about adding a sheet of screen-mesh materiel that Velcros onto the sides of the doorway as an additional block-aid. We did this at the bird store I worked in for the baby room, so that when the fledging babies were flying around they didn't go soaring into the retail area and just caught themselves on the mesh. What are the more expensive ideas? Just to have in mind.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
If you are allowed to you could put a lock on the bird room door, or a latch with padlock.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Maybe I was picturing it wrong. So you don’t have a separate entrance? Everyone comes in the same door?

So they will pass through your living space every time they come and go? Could you sketch out? My brain is fuzzy. Not enough sleep lol.

The mesh sounds like a great ideal. And maybe put a baby gate across the door of the bird room. Basically we are trying to slow them down enough so you can prevent them from getting in. :)

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Maybe I was picturing it wrong. So you don’t have a separate entrance? Everyone comes in the same door?

So they will pass through your living space every time they come and go? Could you sketch out? My brain is fuzzy. Not enough sleep lol.

The mesh sounds like a great ideal. And maybe put a baby gate across the door of the bird room. Basically we are trying to slow them down enough so you can prevent them from getting in. :)
AvianAve.jpg
I totally phrased it weird. By "lower level" I mean their daylight basement that they've converted into an apartment-type space. I did a quick little drawing for you, hope it helps.