• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdproofing and making a play area

Royal Budgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabelle
I got a new budgie, which is actually my first bird, and I want to make sure I’m doing everything right. He flew out into my room twice before, and I only had him for a little bit more than two weeks (no more than three), and is not fully tamed yet (I don’t think). He only has one toy and a perch, which I hope on adding more of. I got paranoid about the toy that I bought him, so I put it in the day after with my friend’s verdict. (She has a budgie). He doesn’t really play with it, though. My bird’s wings are not clipped, and the cage comes with a top play perch to attach to the top when it’s open. I want to make sure everything dangerous is secured, because the times he was out of his cage, the room wasn’t ready to accomadate him. I would also like to make more of a play area, even though he’s in my bedroom.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new budgie. :)

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Some things to consider.... windows and mirrors can be flown into and hurt him, put something on or over them so he can see he can't fly through. Also, some birds will chew on electric cords of all sorts, and that creates an electrocution risk. If you have any plants ,make sure they're not toxic.

Aviana

Strolling the yard
In addition to the previous suggestions, always have the ceiling fan off if you have one.

About toys: not every bird likes every toy. A variety is good for the bird, and allows you to see what is fun for him or her. It is surprisingly simple to make toys (using safe materials). I was amazed at how much more my lovebird preferred the toys I made to the expensive toys. Don't get me wrong; she loved some of the fancy toys. But the toys she kept going back to were often things I put together, even as simple as putting rattly things in old pill containers I had washed out (the bottles with the child proof caps). Making paper toys to chew and find treats in went over well with her, too. And anything she could beat the crap out of.

She also seemed to have phases. Toys that were uninteresting at first might be the new greatest thing ever when I put them back in months later. Cycling toys in in and out helps to keep things fresh and interesting.