• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdie Mash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
I've heard people talk about feeing their birds a "mash"? Can someone explain what that is, and maybe share a recipe? Im wondering if that is something my little birds would enjoy. Thanks.

HungryBird

Saemma just posted some mash she is making:

Mash

Here is a nice post by Patricia Sund about her Chop, which is very similar.

Chop

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Judi, you can start off with a basic 'base'. My base is usually cooked Quinoa and brown rice. To that I add chopped or shredded veggies, whatever I have on hand; carrots, broccoli, zuchinni, yellow squash, banana peppers, jalepeno peppers, red peppers, bell peppers, etc. Then I add in corn and peas. Next I add in a couple small jars of organic sweet potato and some spices (whatever spices your birds like). I mix it all together and divide into ice cube trays, do a 'quick freeze' and then bag the cubes up into freezer bags so I can just pull out a couple cubes each morning, nuke and serve. Have fun and experiment :D

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Judi, you can start off with a basic 'base'. My base is usually cooked Quinoa and brown rice. To that I add chopped or shredded veggies, whatever I have on hand; carrots, broccoli, zuchinni, yellow squash, banana peppers, jalepeno peppers, red peppers, bell peppers, etc. Then I add in corn and peas. Next I add in a couple small jars of organic sweet potato and some spices (whatever spices your birds like). I mix it all together and divide into ice cube trays, do a 'quick freeze' and then bag the cubes up into freezer bags so I can just pull out a couple cubes each morning, nuke and serve. Have fun and experiment :D
This is very similar to what I do also...I don't do baby food but do cook up sweet potatoes/winter squash to add in the winter time...
I also put in Cayenne Pepper/Cinn. Powder/Ginger powder/ hot pepper flakes...
these all help stimulate the appetite with other healthful things too...
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician V - Herbal Remedies For Parrots and Pet Birds
Winged Wisdom Magazine. The Kitchen Physician - Let Food Be Your Pet Bird's Medicine
Curing With Cayenne - Amazing healing power of cayenne pepper
:hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I do kinda what BF does now. I used to feed Beak Appetit but don't anymore. I get a grain mix and cook that, add spices and then sometimes some seeds. 3 parts water and 1 part of bean mix usually (somtimes more water if needed)

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
These are all great recipes,and sound so yummy! Thank you...cant wait to try some. :dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.