• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird wont go back in cage wont sleep

Zee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Zubair
Hello guys I am glad I found this place I am a new cockatiel owner I needed a few suggestions if you had the time the first being my bird would not come on my fingure unless it's to let him out the cage he let's me pet him and likes it but the problem is when it's time to go back in the cage he would not go he flys to the floor and it ends up me chasing him around the other problem is the sleep as he already hates being in a cage he starts flapping his wings and jumping on the cage door and I just cant see that I let him out but again he wont go in at night I had nights where I set there watching over when ever I put him in and cover the blanket (on side open ofcourse) he just goes to the corner and sits dosent even goes on the perch i am really worried please help

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
How big is his cage? Do you have toys and enrichment items inside to keep him occupied? Being in the cage should be a good experience, you can hang millet up when it's time to go in so he understands being in the cage is a good thing.

Don't try taking him out of the cage until he comfortably steps up and isn't scared of you. If you have to chase him around the room, it's just like a big predator trying to eat him. Understandably, he'd be scared.

If he's scared of the dark, he may not like being in the cage because he knows the lights will turn out. You can try a night light or not covering the cage, see if it helps.

I hope I could help, Good luck finding solutions!

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Try luring him into the cage with millet, and when he goes in, press a clicker and give him a treat. That way he will associate bedtime with positive things such a treats.

As for where he is sleeping, try buying him a platform (Things For Wings has some cute ones) or rope perch. They are very comfortable for their feet.

Hope this helps!

Zee

Real Name
Zubair
Try luring him into the cage with millet, and when he goes in, press a clicker and give him a treat. That way he will associate bedtime with positive things such a treats.

As for where he is sleeping, try buying him a platform (Things For Wings has some cute ones) or rope perch. They are very comfortable for their feet.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much its been 6 days since I've got him I changed perches cuz he didnt like the previous I am trying he never sits on them maybe i am doing something wrong with understanding him i led the door open so one side is lit if theres too much light he just sits on the cage door maybe it has to do something with the fact I got it from a breeder he didnt treat him well forcing him to sit on the fingure no commands nothing

Zee

Real Name
Zubair
How big is his cage? Do you have toys and enrichment items inside to keep him occupied? Being in the cage should be a good experience, you can hang millet up when it's time to go in so he understands being in the cage is a good thing.

Don't try taking him out of the cage until he comfortably steps up and isn't scared of you. If you have to chase him around the room, it's just like a big predator trying to eat him. Understandably, he'd be scared.

If he's scared of the dark, he may not like being in the cage because he knows the lights will turn out. You can try a night light or not covering the cage, see if it helps.

I hope I could help, Good luck finding solutions!
The cage is quite big but if you suggest it could be a problem my first priority is getting a bigger one anything to keep him happy cuz in the cage he just turns so different he eats and drinks in the cage but then just starts standing on the door to be out he sits on my shoulder without fear when I offer him a hand he trusts it then but as soon as I get him near the cage he goes to me sad to not go back I spend hours letting him out I tried feeding him things but he only eats seeds I tried giving him carrots (chopped very tiny) and I tried other things like soft corn he just says no I thought of trying a banana the cage prob is a thing cuz whe I put him to bed he gets of his pitch to a corner I always leave one side for the light in complete silence and always am aware if anything I hear Is alarming I've had him for 6 days and I dont chase him down like an actual chase I just offer food or treat for him to just come to be in the cage he started to dislike me knowing the second time is going to be the cage I will def get him toys can you recommend any easy toys I can get him to like

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
The cage is quite big but if you suggest it could be a problem my first priority is getting a bigger one anything to keep him happy cuz in the cage he just turns so different he eats and drinks in the cage but then just starts standing on the door to be out he sits on my shoulder without fear when I offer him a hand he trusts it then but as soon as I get him near the cage he goes to me sad to not go back I spend hours letting him out I tried feeding him things but he only eats seeds I tried giving him carrots (chopped very tiny) and I tried other things like soft corn he just says no I thought of trying a banana the cage prob is a thing cuz whe I put him to bed he gets of his pitch to a corner I always leave one side for the light in complete silence and always am aware if anything I hear Is alarming I've had him for 6 days and I dont chase him down like an actual chase I just offer food or treat for him to just come to be in the cage he started to dislike me knowing the second time is going to be the cage I will def get him toys can you recommend any easy toys I can get him to like
My cockatiel's all time FAVORITE toy was some sort of Pinata mexican hat dance toy or something, I'll see if I can find a pic...