• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird with neurological issue, stoke? Poisioning?

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi everyone. This morning I found my lovebird to be in a frightened stage and he could not use grip with his right feet. Usually, when he’s scared, this would happen and he is usually fine after I covered his cage and let him calm down.

However after I did the same, around half an hour later I found him spinning around in circles in his cage. His head is tilted to the left side. His usual vet is not in, as an emergency I went to another vet that treats birds too and he prescribed me antibiotics baytril, nystatin as well as steroids.

Does anyone have any experience in treating birds with neurological issue with steroids or other medicine? I have fed him the antibiotics and anti fungi and to start with the steroids tomorrow if he doe not gets well.

A little about his background, he has chronic regurgitating issue. It had been on and off for years. The most recent he went to the vet was 3 weeks ago, where we did an in-house crop swap to find no bacterial, no yeast but found white blood cells. We were given amoxicillin, meloxicam.

I will be bringing him to his usual vet tomorrow morning for a second opinion.

Appreciate if anyone could share their experience how neurological in birds were treated and anyone have experience in using steroids in birds.

I have upload his video on YouTubehttps://youtube.com/shorts/TEgryH3wlwY?feature=share

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It certainly sounds as if your bird has chronic seizures. With a stroke they are generally very still and frozen unlike the going in circles. Seizures are a misfiring of electrical pulses in the brain while strokes are a blood leakage causing damage.

Yes, Steroids are sometimes used to reduce swelling. The antibiotics and antifungals are prophylactic for the chance thy ay have an infection.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree, doesn't sound like a stoke to me. I hope he'll be okay.

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi both, thank you so much for your replies. I will be bringing him to usual vet tomorrow morning.

Does seizure last for so long? It has been a day and he is still on and off turning in circles and his head tilted to one side. He still tries to eat and drinks while his head is tilted.

Will steroid cause any negative impact to his liver? He’s around 9 years old so I am pretty concerned if this steroid will cause him any harm or is there anything I should take note off when feeding him steroid.