• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird with messed up feet

terigold

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello I'm brand new here and I have become awsome friends with my double yellow headed amazon named pepo. Unfortunately for him his toes are like crooked and they look really messed up. They have been like this since before my mom rescued him from his previous owner apparently he spend 50 years in a cage with only the ocasional head scratch to him happy but never being held or let out. He also had a issue with one of his air sacks I believe it's not even useable to him at this point. I assume that all of this means he can't be taught to fly but I wanted a second opinion I guess if that's not okay to ask then I'm sorry and let me know so I don't do it again if you don't mind. Have a great rest of your day

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome. There is no question you can’t ask. We may not have the answer but we will tell you this as well.

It sounds like the first thing you need to do is take him to an avian vet to have him checked. What you can do in the meantime is provide him with platforms or corner perches instead of regular perches. You can also see if softer perches would be easier on him well like the rope perches.

The vet will let you know if Pepo can learn to fly or not.

Again welcome and thank you for providing a home for Pepo :laughing12::cheer:

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Idk about air sacs but one of my macaws had a bent foot from a broken leg somewhere along his life. He could still clutch a perch but he needed the soft rope perches. Does yours grab on a perch ?