• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Vomiting! Help!

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Sunflower has vomited clear liquid twice today, and it seemed like she was really trying to get it out. She as stretching her neck, shaking her head, and hanging upside down. Other than that, she has been fine. She is eating, drinking, and playing normally. The vet is closed for the day. Is there anything we need to do? Anything we should give her until she sees the vet tomorrow?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you sure it was vomit and not regurgitation?
Monitor. Keep her warm.
Hope she will be OK. Good that she is eating, drinking and playing.
Are you planning on taking her to the vet soon?

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Bird needs to be checked by avian vet for AGY. Head bobbing is a cardinal symptom. Avian Gastric Yeast. Not much you can do now except keep her warm and not with other birds if you have any. Vet should do a swab of crop and look for yeast or fungi cells. They can also test droppings

I don't mean to scare you but AGY can be fatal. I lost a budgie this way.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Many things can cause vomiting, even a simple bacterial or yeast infection.

Knowing the difference between vomiting and regurgitation is a good start.

Regurgitation is brought up by the bird, usually the motion for this is up and down head bobbing. The barf is brought up into their mouth and re eaten or expelled in front of them.

Vomiting is a medical cause. Most often this motion is side to side fast head flicks and the contents are thrown everywhere. Quite often you will see vomit on their heads or body.

Bringing your sweetie to the vet and having a gram stain done is best. If an infection is found they will send you home with antibiotics.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
She has regurgitated before, and this was different. It looked a bit like she ate something and wanted it out.

We were wondering what to feed her. Should we give her anything special? Should we not give her anything in particular?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What have you been feeding her? Anything different? Have you seen the recent potential food recall?

I would not change much if you are seeing the vet tomorrow. Just make sure she is eating. High sugar foods make yeast thrive, I would stay clear of that if possible.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Her diet hasn't changed, and we don't have the food that was potentially contaminated. I did giver her eggs for the first time last week and she liked them, but that was a week ago.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
A week ago wouldnt do it. Maybe she has a little infection or maybe she swallowed something wrong. Just keep an eye on her. :)