• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird toy suggestions? She doesn't like wood!

xjessicar9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jess
Hey guys, I've gotten Fiona a few little wooden toys for her cage that it seems like she hasn't touched AT ALL o_O I don't want her to be bored, so I wanted to know some ideas of what I can get her. For some reason, she REALLY likes to get her beak into little places and try to pry things off, like the keys on my keyboards and stickers off of a surface. She also really loves chewing on the rubber part of my pen when I'm trying to write. They're all super colorful, even the wooden toys I got her, so I don't think that's the issue: she likes to dig her beak into stuff and try to pry things out of their spot. She also managed to rip off the rubber piece of my old computer mouse! :wideyed::roflmao: So do you guys have any suggestions of things that she might be more interested in rather than the wooden toys? Just since it doesn't seem like they've been a hit for her, and that's all I can really find at the pet store.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
How about some ribbons with a bead and knots, knots either side of the beads, she may try to get at the knot to get the bead...Make sure its big enough she can’t swallow it.

or those kitty balls with the bell inside? That might occupy her for a few minutes...

A bell on some leather string or rope that she may bash around while trying to figure out to get the clapper out, just make sure the clapper is securely on, I think @Macawnutz has toys where the clapper is safely attached.

or a twine ball with bell/ball inside, anything to make noise and she has to work at it a bit...

otherwise have no clue

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
For some reason, she REALLY likes to get her beak into little places and try to pry things off, like the keys on my keyboards and stickers off of a surface.
The toys on offer might be too hard a wood for her likings..
There are two toys (so far) that worked wonders for me, made of cork and balsa (pics)... If she likes prying things out you should get her smogas board type toys;
or maybe

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You could try a ¨toybox¨, a small selection of different toy types and textures to see what Fiona takes a liking to..

Start of with a good mix, then as you figure out what she likes, you can repurchase and have the boxes tailor made for her :)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Depends on what kind of wood. My birds really love balsa wood, and sometimes yucca. Palm foraging toys are a good hit here as well. Properly sterilized pinecones might be more her taste. There are so many kinds of toys, so don't be afraid to spoil her!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I started off my shop because my birds hated pet shop toys! All the fun things my birds liked - you couldn't find at the local pet store.

I have several Canary Wing customers. One pair LOVES foot toys the best and they have my Foot Toy Grab on autoship every month :)

Sola is a huge hit, as is cork, Mahogany, foam, balsa, and yucca. Other things you can try are vine, cardboard, and small plastic toys that make noise.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Mizzely foam? I don’t think I’ve heard of this before, can I have a pic by any chance of the sort you mean?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely foam? I don’t think I’ve heard of this before, can I have a pic by any chance of the sort you mean?
Craft foam for like kid's projects. Some birds are really into it. I don't use it a lot because its one of those things you really don't want them to eat it, but if they just tear it up it's fine.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There are probably a few different foams I can think of but I’m picturing the stuff used for like floral arrangements for some reason. I wouldn’t think any sort of foam was safe or recommend as ok?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are probably a few different foams I can think of but I’m picturing the stuff used for like floral arrangements for some reason. I wouldn’t think any sort of foam was safe or recommend as ok?
No; non toxic EVO foam. Example: Foamies® 9" x 12" Foam Sheets, Assorted Bright Colors

Not pool noodle style or floral foam or styrofoam or something like that. Like I said, it depends on your bird and because of that I use it only in a couple of toys and put a notice on those toys that not all parrots are good with foam.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez