• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird toy store

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
Hello everyone! I was just wanting to get some advice. So, for a while now I have been wanting to sell my own bird toys that I make. I am just looking for advice on how to get started and things like that.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Have you thought about starting an Etsy shop? I buy things from Etsy often and they have their own built-in system of sales which I imagine would be the easiest way to start.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree that Etsy is a low risk way of starting out. It helps you fine tune your prices and processes to be profitable. That's where I started ages ago :)

Other than that, figure out what your focus or target market is, and try to find a way for your offerings to stand out. Lots of people over the years have tried to copy or imitate other popular makers, and they do themselves a disservice by doing that.

Make sure you account for your time in your costs/profit evaluation. If you only think about the material cost, you will be working for free.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I agree that Etsy is a low risk way of starting out. It helps you fine tune your prices and processes to be profitable. That's where I started ages ago :)

Other than that, figure out what your focus or target market is, and try to find a way for your offerings to stand out. Lots of people over the years have tried to copy or imitate other popular makers, and they do themselves a disservice by doing that.

Make sure you account for your time in your costs/profit evaluation. If you only think about the material cost, you will be working for free.
That's what I am doing ... I work for free, I swear it seems that way!!

Well I agree, Etsy is a way to get yourself started. However back in 2002 there was no such thing as Etsy let alone other platforms out there to use. I bred parrots starting in 1987 then in along 2002 I took out a domain of pionusparrot.com where I sold my Pionus parrots and started bird toy parts sells and some toys from there and used the PayPal shopping cart. It was along in 2010 when I went with 3dCart which is now known as Shirt4Shop ... you can now get a free shopping cart with them if you use their credit card processing plus you can accept PayPal as well. With any platform they are all a pain in the tooshy!

Good luck, check out all the various ways. If you are really serious about it all then get yourself a resale permit from your state as some things will require to have one.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Good for you! If you set your mind to something, envision success, nothing can stop you. All of us vendors on here started like you. Good luck! Any questions, please ask.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Do you have pictures of toys you make would love to see please

I agree love Etsy some lovely little finds